CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Instagram is a free and fairly simple photo enhancement app that requires only a couple of touches to produce great-looking images. But what's really special about Instagram are the sharing capabilities that let you tell the story of your life through photos.
Start by signing up with Instagram with an e-mail address, username, and password. From there you can configure Instagram to autopost to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Foursquare, and Posterous, or just choose to share images from within the app or via e-mail. You can also turn any of these options on or off if you don't want to share your shots with everyone.
Once you're all connected, you'll be able to snap a photo wherever you are, move and scale the image, add an effect with a touch of your finger, and then touch Done to share your photographic moment with the world. The app comes with several free custom-designed filters that can give your image various retro effects, a grainy black-and-white look, or even adjustable tilt-shift options. When you're satisfied with the look, you can add a caption along with optional geotagging, then share it right away.
Even with just the features mentioned, this free app would already be easy to recommend, but a couple of added features make it even better. Once signed up with Instagram, you can follow other Instagram users on the Feed page, which shows recent images taken by you and your friends. Here you can comment and "like" photos. Switch tabs to look at a Popular list that shows all the most popular Instagram images from all users. You also can look at a News tab, which shows the latest actions by your connected friends (liked, commented, or otherwise), so you can see what your friends are currently looking at. I think these features make Instagram an app you might look at every day, just to see what your friends are up to.
In version 2.5, Instagram has a few new features that will be appreciated by fans of the service. The app now has integrated Facebook Likes, the capability to search for tags and users in the Explore section (with autocomplete), visual tweaks to the interface, and speed enhancements. The app also offers minor improvements to commenting and a revamped profile tab. While the changes are mostly minor, they bring Instagram more into the fold at Facebook and I think users will enjoy the increasing level of interactivity between the two services.
Overall, Instagram is an excellent way to take great-looking shots and share them with anyone. The in-app feed and news options make it a unique app for connecting with your friends across social networks. I highly recommend this app to anyone who wants to share images in fun and unique ways.
From Instagram, Inc:
Instagram is a way to share your world. Pick from one of several gorgeous filtered effects to breathe a new life into your mobile photos. Transform everyday moments into works of art you'll want to share with friends and family. Share your photos in a simple photo stream with friends to see and follow your friends' photos with the click of a single button. Every day you open up Instagram, you'll see new photos from your closest friends, and creative people from around the world. Features include free custom designed filters and borders, lux works it's magic by making your photos more vibrant and brings out details in your photos you couldn't see before, linear and radial Tilt-Shift blur effects for extra depth of field, instant sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Foursquare, interact with friends through giving and receiving likes and comments, and full front and back camera support.
What's new in this version: Version 3.4.2 includes bug fix and improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Snap photos and add cool effects with this app that makes getti...
- Put your face on a billboard, a stamp, or in a Warhol-like work...
- Make your own collages, photos, and more on Muzy. Over 20 milli...
- With Facebook Camera, you can share photos on Facebook faster t...
- The coolest All-In-One photo app for all of us! FotoRus is the ...
- Top 10 Photography Apps in US and many countries for several mo...
- Create photo collages and share with friends through social med...
- This application allows you to mix two (or more) pictures into ...
- Easily browse, improve and export multiple photos.
- Over 2 million users! EpocCam transforms your iOS device into w...
- Just took the perfect photo? Want to make it look the best it c...
- Path is a personal social network designed to help you be close...
- Take great photos and share them immediately and effortlessly.
- Grid lens lets you shoot your precious moments on a single pict...
- Download your favorite videos on the web.Video Download: - Supp...
- EYEWITNESS EXTRA IMAGES MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR SOME SUBSCRIBE...
- Real-time picture chatting is finally available on iPhone!Snapc...
- Shift inverted black and white objects to create surfaces and r...
- Make pretty photos to share with your friends.
- More than Two Million Downloads in three months. *Top 1 Photo/V...
- Share your music tastes with your Facebook friends using your i...
- Clone Yourself Swap Body Parts Make Your Own Ghost Endless Poss...
- Share pics over the web without effort.
- Beautifully designed and packed with powerful features, KitCam ...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"I fell in love!!!"
Version: Instagram 2.0.4
Amazing the things you can do with this simple photo editing/sharing app.
"Fun, free, addicting app"
Version: Instagram 2.0.4
Fun and simple to use photo-sharing app, addicting in-feed feature, makes your photos look great.
Could use some more filter options
At first, I couldn't really see what the big deal was with this app. However, once I started to use it, I could completely see its appeal. It's a great way to put a little pizzazz in your photos and share them with your friends. It's a fun little app that brings out your creative side, even if you aren't the world's greatest photographer. I love that it also gives your photos that warm, nostalgic feeling. I wish it did have some more filter options, though.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content