CNET Editors' review
HTTPWatch Basic Edition is a free browser plug-in that collects and displays information about Web sites. It's a trial edition of HTTPWatch Professional, with which it shares many features, albeit with limitations, mostly for Web sites with nonproprietary log files. The Basic version also displays a logo banner on printouts. Both work with Microsoft Internet Explorer as well as Mozilla Firefox. You can save the information HTTPWatch Basic Edition collects as a log file and view it with an included utility, HTTP Studio.
We downloaded and installed HTTPWatch Basic for Internet Explorer. During the process, we allowed the plug-in's installer's request to install the Firefox add-on, too. HTTPWatch's quick start page appeared when we opened IE. Brief but detailed and with high-quality screenshots, this guide explains how to use, customize, and uninstall the plug-in in both IE and Firefox; how to log requests; how to open and use HTTP Studio; and more. We opened a new tab, browsed to a selected site, and clicked the Tools menu on the IE command bar. We clicked HTTPWatch Basic on the menu, and the plug-in's interface opened in the lower half of the IE display; we also tried the shortcut key combo, Shift + F2. We pressed the Record button to initiate a request, and the software quickly returned results in the upper file list view, which included a color-coded progress bar. We clicked Summary, and HTTPWatch displayed a variety of results in 10 tabs in its main view, including Time Chart, Headers, Cookies, Query String, POST Data, and more. We then browsed to a random site that apparently had a different log file type, and this time the request only returned results in six tabs. Next we opened Firefox and clicked the HTTPWatch icon in the extensions panel at the bottom-right edge; HTTPWatch Basic opened with a virtually identical interface to the IE version. We were able to open HTTP Studio and other tools from the program's Windows Start Menu folder.
HTTPWatch Basic Edition worked well despite its limits. For casual users, the free version's data may be more than adequate, but we appreciate the ability to try out the program's basic functionality in a free plug-in before buying the enhanced Pro version.
HttpWatch Basic shows you HTTP and HTTPS traffic from within IE allowing you to quickly debug, fix, and optimize your Website. See headers, cookies, status codes, compression, content and more as you browse a Web site. The Basic Edition only displays extended information for a limited number of Web sites. Demonstrates the capabilities of HttpWatch Professional and can be used to exchange HTTP log files
Features include standalone log file viewer, shows HTTPS requests, support for HTTP compression, Page and Request Level Time Charts, saves full trace file, and supports HTTP compression.
What's new in this version: Version 9.0.9 has updated the 'Getting Started' instructions to reflect recent changes in Firefox and Internet Explorer.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Visit virtual visual chat communities.
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Create and manage information for learning, brainstorming, task...
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- View and search for entries inside LDAP directories.
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Universal query access to text-based data.
- Pep up your search in the Internet.
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Keep a watchful eye on your Web site's links and images.
- Make screenshots from Web pages.
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Es una heramienta muy util"
Version: HttpWatch Basic Edition 5.3.8
Es muy util para encontrar los errores que se puedan tener al programar.
estÃ¡ todo bien....no me desagrada nada.
"Great for web developers testing their site's caching behavior"
Version: HttpWatch Basic Edition 4.2.12
The free version is very useful for viewing the status code, size, and time spent for HTTP traffic back to the site.
$250 for Headers and Cookies