CNET Editors' review
Even if you run reliable antivirus software -- and you do, don't you? -- it's never a bad idea to have a supplemental program that can pick up malware that your regular antivirus application might miss. HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) is an easy-to-use program that can quickly scan for and remove a variety of nasty things that might be lurking on your computer.
HitmanPro 3 has an intuitive interface that makes it easy to get started. If you're ready to plow ahead with the default scan, just click Next. If you'd like to do some customizing, the Settings button will take you to a variety of menus that let you control how the program operates. Users can set HitmanPro 3 to run a scan at startup or on a particular day of the week, and there are also options for configuring a proxy. The Early Warning Scoring feature lets security professionals detect possible threats based on suspicious software behavior. We chose to run HitmanPro3 with the default settings and chose the default scan, as opposed to the quick scan option. The program took a little less than 3 minutes to scan our system, detecting 13 cookies and one piece of adware. We then had the option to delete each of these individually or get rid of all of them with the click of a button. The program keeps a log of potentially harmful items that it finds, making it easy to keep track of what you've been infected with. HitmanPro 3 has no Help file, and seems to assume that users will either take advantage of its basic features and leave it at that, or that they're experts who already know how to use the more-advanced features. Either way, we think that HitmanPro3 is a simple and powerful tool for keeping your system squeaky clean, and we recommend it.
HitmanPro 3 installs and uninstalls without issues.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) 18.104.22.168. The trial version is limited to 30 days.
HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls). Just relying on a single vendor is not sufficient to completely protect you. You do need a second source to make sure you are secure. HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) is designed to work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It scans the computer quickly (less than five minutes) and does not slow down the computer (except for the few minutes it is scanning). HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) does not need to be installed. It can be run straight from a USB flash drive, a CD/DVD, local or network attached hard drive.
What's new in this version: Version 22.214.171.124 fixes unexpected termination of HitmanPro during remnant scan on computers with FAT32 system volume.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC in real time from malware & spyware.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Play a fun game with forms of microorganisms.
- Monitor and analyze detailed information about your PC's hardwa...
- Rescue your computer from viruses and malware.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Track software usage and optimize your software expenditures.
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Ensure your computer safety through real-time monitoring and re...
- Scan and kill malicious processes on your Windows PC.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Remove malicious programs from Windows startup.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Detect and delete malicious programs, features, and contents fr...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Convert TIFF files to PDF document.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 189 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) 126.96.36.199
DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS SOFTWARE!!!! Infected my computer. See below for details.
I downloaded this software on June 5, 2013. I ran a scan on my computer, didn't find anything, then immediately uninstalled it. Immediately afterwards, I opened up Internet Explorer and the first thing I saw was "Sweet Packs" had taken over my home page. Numerous pop ups followed for games, etc. I went to "uninstall programs" and immediately uninstalled all the CRAP that this software put on my computer. There were several things all dated June 5, 2013. Uninstalling them only made the problem worse. XFinity tech support remotely accessed my computer TWICE the last two days to get rid of everything. It corrupted my Avira antivirus and they had to uninstall and reinstall that. It also corrupted files and folders on my computer. I have downloaded several things from CNET the last few years and never had a problem until now. I thought all of these downloads were tested to make sure they were safe. I hope people read this to avoid the same problems I had to deal with. I tried to find a phone number for CNET to call and let them know, but there is not phone number for them. This is my only option.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: