CNET Editors' review
Too many people who teach themselves to play the guitar end up learning how to form chords and strum, but not the theoretical underpinnings that are critical to understanding how music actually works. If you want to go beyond playing your favorite songs and gain the skills to improvise and write your own music, try Guitar and Bass. This comprehensive program will teach you plenty of music theory as it applies to fretted instruments and help you take your musicianship to the next level.
When we first opened Guitar and Bass the program asked us to select our instrument--options include guitar, bass, banjo, and mandolin--and tuning. The program's interface is plain and easy to navigate, with a few menus across the top and major features listed down the side. A reference section gives users quick access to common chords, intervals, a chord builder, scales, and keys; each of these has various options that let users explore how their instrument works and sounds. An exercise manager contains exercises that help users learn theory, fretboard skills, ear training, and absolute pitch. Other tools include a metronome, a key finder, and a chord finder, as well as a jam band feature that lets users build chord progressions. A tablature editor lets users create and play tabs, a great tool for learning and mastering your favorite songs. A built-in Help file provides brief explanations of the program's features, but users who are not already at least a little familiar with music theory will need to seek out additional resources. Overall, we think that Guitar and Bass is a great resource for anyone who's serious about learning to play a fretted instrument, and we recommend it.
Guitar and Bass installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Gabriel Fernandez:
Guitar and bass is a free software for fretted instruments, such as Guitar, Bass, Banjo, and Mandolin. (New instruments and tunings can be added too). You'll get everything a musician need, including: Scale/chords/intervals references and exercises. A Tabulature viewer and editor and practice tools. Features: Supports various instruments, tunings. Guitar (6, 7 string), Bass (4, 5 string), Banjo (4, 5 string), and Mandolin are supported by default. New instruments, tunings, chords, and scales can be added easily. Complete scale/chords/keys reference. Tab editor with a Tab library function. Quickly browse all your tabs. Theory exercises. Ear training exercises: Chords, scales, keys, intervals, and fretboard notes. Great for any musician. Fretboard notes exercises: Learn the notes on the fretboard. Advanced metronome. Jam band: Quickly write a chord progression and play over it with this tool. Audio samples from real guitars used.
What's new in this version: Version 1.1.3 fixes a bug on the Chords ear training exercise.
More Products to Consider
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Practice and train your notes, scales and chord positions on a ...
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Watch and record online TV Channels and listen to radio station...
- Provide on-screen piano, synthesizer and MIDI controller for yo...
- Improve your guitar skills, play multimedia files, and edit tab...
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Create backing tracks, explore chords, chord progressions with ...
- Ã??earn the notes and scales of the guitar fretboard.
- Create and edit sheet music for many types of fretted stringed ...
- Bring color to your music practice or improvisation sessions.
- Learn guitar, play along with real guitar audio at full and hal...
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Learn basics of playing guitar and other fretted string instrum...
- Create backing tracks, explore chords, chord progressions.
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Learn how to play on virtual drums.
- Learn how to play guitar, mandolin, ukulele, and banjo.
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Provide the essential workshop for guitar and other fretted str...
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Learn and practice guitar, bass, or any fretted instrument.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good for the more advanced guitar player"
Version: Guitar and Bass 1.1
Great program but way over my head. Many fret board training and chord sound training exercises. Many training functions with a well balanced menu to fine tune your skills as a guitarist.
A few of the sound functions did not work correctly. Could have been a driver issue but issue on my end. Chord training exercise was a bit tricky. When you try to replay the note you just heard, a wrong answer plays the sound of the correct chord. This leaves you a bit confused.
A very good program for an advanced music student. But, for a seasoned beginner its way above my skill level. Program needs a few easy songs you can play along with on your guitar.
"WOW, I can't believe it's free!"
Version: Guitar and Bass 1.0
I searched and searched...
YAY! I finally came after a quality fret training program, for a variety of stringed instruments.
Chords, Scales, Intervals, KEYS and loads more, infact this program even has an METRONOME !
N/A - (it's that good)
My excuses for playing like a N00B have just run out, and so have yours!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content