CNET Editors' review
Decryption specialists PSW-soft's Guaranteed Word Decrypter (GuaWord) is a simple command-line utility for decrypting DOC files used in Microsoft's Word 97 and 2000 and Word XP, 2002, and 2003 in its default (40-bit) mode. It won't decrypt files from Word versions prior to 97, French versions of Word, Word files using newer 128-bit or 256-bit encryption, or other passwords such as read-only passwords; the developer offers other tools for those jobs. It doesn't recover passwords, either; it simply removes them. But for opening compatible Word files, it's a fine tool, if a bit old-school.
GuaWord's executable file is completely portable and requires no installation to use. We downloaded and extracted the zipped package, which includes detailed instructions in the ReadMe file as well as the program's executable file and another program, a utility that taps the processing power of Nvidia CUDA-capable graphics cards to accelerate decryption. GuaWord tests about a trillion keys to guarantee decryption of any password in any language, a process that takes about a day when using GPU acceleration. Fortunately, the download includes a password-protected Word document for demonstration. The program's "interface" is a DOS window describing the file commands. We opened the Command Prompt, typed in the directory and options, and GuaWord opened the test file. That's all there is to it.
GuaWord v1.7's freeware demo version is fully functional but has a fixed password limitation. We tested it in both Windows 7 and Vista. Several licensing options mean you don't have to buy more than you need.
From Guaranteed Software:
This command-line utility is designed to decrypt Word 97/2000 (XP/2003 in default encryption mode) files. Any file, encrypted with any password (no matter how long the password is, what character set and national symbols used), can be decrypted. The average time is about one day on modern PC. Multi-core/distributed recovery is supported, as well as NVIDIA GPU acceleration. Version 1.7 features GPU acceleration using NVIDIA CUDA technology.
What's new in this version: Version 1.7 features GPU acceleration using NVIDIA CUDA technology.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Recover forgotten or lost passwords for Quicken.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Crack multiple Word passwords almost instantly, with a click of...
- Recover your WordPerfect documents' passwords.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Decrypt Word and Excel files.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Recover Microsoft Word document password.
- Recover passwords created with WinZip, PKZIP, or any other ZIP-...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Decrypt PDF files and prevent their editing, printing, and copy...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Remove restrictions and/or password on PDF files.
- Remove restrictions and decrypt Adobe Acrobat PDF files.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Recover lost passwords from MS Outlook.
- Recover information from password-protected Microsoft Word docu...
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recover MS Office documents and VBA modules passwords.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1