CNET Editors' review
Google Earth continues to set the mapping paradigm. Accessible enough for casual users, Google has added features that make it a necessity for those whose topographic desires are more serious. In addition to Earth cartography, you can also check out Google Ocean, historical Earth maps, and the surface of one of our closest neighbors, Mars.
The oceanic maps provide the capability to plunge to the floor of the sea, view exclusive content from the BBC and National Geographic, and explore shipwrecks like the Titanic in 3D. Exploring the Martian surface is limited to data provided from NASA, but that's not much of a limitation considering that it's unlikely that most of us will ever get to visit the Red Planet. Switching between Google Earth, Sky, and Mars can be done from the menu bar or from the planet icon on the toolbar.
Most of the interface's real estate displays a rendering of the globe, which can zoom in on a satellite image of your destination once you've keyed it in. Controls live on a top toolbar and a left-side navigation window that lets you quickly jump between different views and locations. Google's Street View, real-time illumination of the Earth, roads, restaurants, and even crime statistics can be displayed. Smooth integration with Google's 3D rendering program SketchUp means that you can design buildings and see how they'd interact with their surroundings.
The only downside to the program is that it can consume a large amount of RAM, so older machines might experience performance issues. That can be configured through the Options menu, and recent updates have helped address many of these performance issues, with improvements to rendering speed, frame rate, and even launch time.
Google Earth puts a planet's worth of imagery and other geographic information right on your desktop. View exotic locales like Maui and Paris, as well as points of interest such as local restaurants, hospitals, and schools. Google Earth combines satellite imagery, maps, and the power of Google Search to put the world's geographic information at your fingertips. With Google Earth you can fly from space to your neighborhood--just type in an address and zoom right in, search for schools, parks, restaurants, and hotels. Get driving directions, tilt and rotate the view to see 3D terrain and buildings, save and share your searches and favorites and even add your own annotations.
What's new in this version:
- The "Enable Controller" option in user preferences is now turned off by default. This prevents red directional arrows from displaying as a result of uncalibrated joysticks and other controllers being connected to Earth at startup.
- For enhanced security, "Use HTTPS for Google connections" is now toggled on by default.
- We fixed a bug whereby the cache size rose above user-specified limits.
- We fixed a crash resulting from searching on some Windows machine... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Google Maps desktop client for Mac.
- Manage your e-book library and sync to reader devices.
- Classic typing instruction software.
- English-Urdu dictionary.
- Powerful mathematical language for performing scriptable tasks.
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Kids' artwork program with iLife integration.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- View & print PDF files.
- Medical DICOM viewer/converter.
- LaTeX editor and project organizer.
- Convert ePub to kindle, kindle to pdf, epub to azw, epub to pdf...
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Build, display, manipulate crystal and molecular structures.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Simulate and experiment with some of the more commonly-used pro...
- Play, import, convert and export Windows Media video and audio ...
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Create, share and keep all your stuff in one place.
- Calculate the usual transcendental functions, including the gam...
- 3D image processing software with DICOM/PACS support.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 97 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1