CNET Editors' review
GoNaomi aims to provide a multilanguage dictionary with which users can look up words in different languages and compare them side-by-side within the program's interface. Unfortunately, its slow performance and lack of translation options left little to be desired.
From the get-go, GoNaomi functioned slowly. The program indicated that there was a "fatal SQL" error, which led us to believe that there could be a problem with the program's database. Since the program is essentially a database, this is a very large problem indeed. We tried the program by selecting English as the language to which we wanted words translated. We then selected Russian, and typed the word "cat" into the search box. GoNaomi translated the word for us, and it did so when we tried a few other languages. We wished the program had an option to translate more than just one word at a time, which could come in handy for both business and casual travelers alike.
The version of program we reviewed is free, with an option to purchase it. There is no mention of what added features you get with the paid version of the program. The program's menu has a Help button, but it does not contain useful help; it merely directs you to the program's Web site. The program installs and uninstalls easily, but adds shortcut items to your desktop without asking. Thanks to its slow performance and lack of options, we recommend that users look for a more functional translation program.
GoNaomi is a computer dictionary, which currently consists of about 30 different dictionaries containing altogether about 850 thousands words. Having ability of choosing languages, the program gives opportunity of about 900 dictionary combinations of translation. Interesting and extensive dictionaries are among others: Albanian, Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovakia, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, and Turkish.
What's new in this version: Version 1.81 database has been updated.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Translate words, phrases, sentences, and text from 22 different...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Translate words between Chinese and English language.
- Translate words between Arabic and English language.
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Write Arabic phonetically using English letters.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Analyze, modify, and enhance your images.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Find out why some video files don't work correctly on your syst...
- Search out words, including foreign text, to make word or alpha...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-6 of 6
"Not at all useful to me."
Version: GoNaomi Dictionary 1.78
no pro simply because I couldn't get it to function correctly.
From what did come up (unless it was a result from not functioning) this product is useless..
When I contacted the web sight I could find nothing to relate to customer service or help.. In fact, other than crowing about their dictionary there was nothing at all helpful about them.. The dictionary would not give me any definitions for the words I would choose from their list (which would not scroll down) to words that I entered on their search box... And if I chose another language (which was it's main selling point) I would get from two to four different words that (supposedly) had the same meaning of the word (in english for instance) that I querried while not receiving a deffinition from any of the words involved. It should be understood that this could have been the result of my computer not accepting this particular software but why not at least have a help sight for problems like this and if it's not my system (which I investigated) then this product will disappoint a lot of users. I should say, try it yourself and write your own review. Myself? I wasen't at all impressed.
"Wow, a lot of languages"
Version: GoNaomi Dictionary 1.75
It offers so many languages that it is hard to pick from just what I want to learn the day of building the program.
it could run slowly on some systems, but for what you get in information, I would still find it worth it.
It functions quite well, going back and forth between language pairs seemlessly. It seems like one gigantic integrated languages defining environment. I would only offer more languages and words so that people can learn more about the other languages and the cultures representing them.
"Just try a little bit, helpfull"
Version: GoNaomi Dictionary 1.66
"i like dictionaries"
Version: GoNaomi Dictionary 1.66
i like it because i need the meanings
Version: GoNaomi Dictionary 1.6.1
efficient and fast
"No limitations? You got to be joking?"
Version: GoNaomi Dictionary 1
The whole idea is great - to call it 'Freeware' is not!
The 'free' version allows you only one dictionary (in my case I was interested in English to German). But if I want German to English (and of course I will need that!), I have to pay for it. I suggest you just be honest, and call it shareware.