CNET Editors' review
Gretech's GOM Audio is a music player based on their GOM Media Player. GOM Audio is meant to handle all your audio: MP3s and other files, CDs in the tray, and Internet radio and streams. It supports most audio formats, including AAC files saved as M4As and high-quality and lossless formats like WAV and FLAC. In addition to skins, playlists, and plug-in support, GOM Audio offers an equalizer, A-B repeat, playback speed control, and effects like reverb and surround sound. The latest release, GOM Audio 2 plus, features better exporting of very large playlists and improved CD control and playback. GOM Audio runs in Windows 2000 to 8; we ran it in 7.
During setup, we could associate GOM Audio with various file types, make it our default CD player, and choose other options. Don't worry; they're easy to change later on, if you aren't happy with the results. GOM Audio's default skin is an attractive brown-themed player with docked playlist. Initially, the playlist window contained a very helpful quick start guide to the program's most important features, such as the Mode button in the upper-right corner. This button toggles GOM Audio's small main window between album art, counter, or both; right-clicking it calls up the main menu, which accesses all controls, preferences, playlists, power options, and documentation. We clicked "Skins" and sampled the cute Polar Bear theme as well as our eventual favorite, Fondness, a minimalist design that nevertheless gives quick access to both basic controls and the full menu of options.
The proof is in the playing, so we played some files, including MP3s, WMAs, and similar formats, and then sampled some online sources such as Net radio and streaming files. Entering www.spotify.com returned a playlist full of radio stations. We also tried the equalizer, which can tame unruly desktop speakers and correct other audio issues. We like GOM Audio and think it'd make a great all-in-one player for music lovers.
GOM Audio is a free audio player designed to make it simple to listen to CDs, MP3s, M4As, and other popular audio formats on your PC. GOM Audio implements many of the features and shortcuts used in GOM Media Player to further enhance the playback experience. Supported audio formats: Audio CDs / MP3 / M4A / OGG / WMA / WAV /MID / FLAC / APE / PLS. Audio that is encoded in AAC is supported when saved as .M4A. Features: Change Playback Speed (0.1x to 2.0x); A-B Repeat; Equalizer; Audio Effects (Reverb, Surround, Normalize); Shuffle; Playlists; Edit ID3 Tags; Change Skins; Plugin Support; Power Options; Open Internet Streams.
What's new in this version: Changes in version 2.0.5.0138 include: Chinese, Taiwanese, and Russian language support has been added, language can be changed from the Preferences window. Improved Playlist loading times. Improved image quality when exporting album art. Improved the appearance of the MiniPlayer toolbar. Playlists will now be saved in .m3u8 format. Corrected an issue where the sample rate for m4a files using the he-aac encoder could not be recognized properly. Corrected an error where the software would ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Convert your music between popular formats.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- View mobile phone or iPod videos on your PC.
- Digitize audio editings, recordings, and conversions in various...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Convert WMA to MP3, MP3 to WMA.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Play your MP3's using multi-touch technology to turn your PC in...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Split and merge your audio files.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 11 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simple & lightweight"
Version: GOM Audio 2.0.5.0138
Simple & easy to use, Nice equalizer
Way to small and the size is nonadjustable. I like to see the album artwork that I've worked so hard to include in all my mp3 files and this app displays it the size of a postage stamp and you can't enlarge it, no how, no way. You can't save a playlist! You can't display lyrics. There are no skins available to jack up the size of the main window and album art.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content