CNET Editors' review
Call us old-fashioned, but we don't typically get into desktop customizations. We're not opposed to tweaks that are useful--or even just plain fun--but it seems that much of the time these programs are more trouble than they're worth. So it goes with Folder Background Changer. This program promises to let users customize the background images within their folders, but it doesn't work reliably.
The program required a registration code during installation, which confused us until we realized that it was contained in a text file that came with the download. Once we had the program installed, we clicked the Change Folder Background button, and a dialog came up asking us to choose the folder we wanted to customize. Next we were asked to select the image we wanted to use for the background, and then a color selector came up, though it was unclear what we were selecting colors for. Once that was done, an alert informed us that our desired folder background had been changed, and then the program automatically launched Internet Explorer and took us to the publisher's blog, a feature that definitely discouraged us from continued use of the program. We opened the folder whose background we thought we had changed and ... nothing. We tried different views within the folder, and then we tried running the program several more times, and still, nothing. When we tried the program with a different folder, however, it worked. Folder Background Changer has no Help file, so we have no idea what the explanation for this might be. We're sure that there are other programs that perform the same task with less hassle, and we recommend that users explore those options instead of Folder Background Changer.
Folder Background Changer comes as a ZIP file. It installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal.
From RK Technocrats:
Customize your windows Folder using your favorite wallpaper or photograph. Use this program to change background of a folder. You can put picture as a folder background. It also allow you to change font color of files / folder inside it.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Exclude access to your sensitive data for unauthorized users.
- Customize your folder appearance with colors and pictures.
- Take screenshots and save it in various graphical formats.
- Back up all your iPod music files to your computer.
- Capture areas of your screen.
- Customize your folders' icon and background image.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Avoid getting irritated with alert messages.
- Colorize your folder any way you like.