CNET Editors' review
So, Mr. Bond, you think you have won because you have our hard drives! Your Q Branch experts will never be able to recover the data! SPECTRE wipes its data with Files Terminator, a freely available computer program; freely obtained, Mr. Bond, from the Internet!
James Bond immediately came to mind when we downloaded and opened Files Terminator and clicked the Method Deletion menu button. This free utility securely deletes files and folders using a list of algorithms that reads like a confrontation at Checkpoint Charlie: British HGM IS5, Russian GOST P50739-95, US DoD 5220.22-M(E), German VSITR, Canadian RCMP TSSIT OPS-II, Bruce Schneier, and Peter Gutmann, in addition to Pseudorandom and Random. Each method is described in a window below the menu in large letters. There's also a Destroy Free Space tool that can wipe a drive's free space and even automatically shut down the computer when the job is done. Beyond a language option, the only thing left is the tool itself, accessed by two buttons: Destroy File(s) and Destroy Folder. We started by terminating an instruction sheet we'd saved to the desktop, using the fast pseudorandom method. The program warned us that deleting the data would make it unrecoverable. We proceeded, the job was done, and the file was terminated. Next we tried stronger methods, with similarly speedy results. The Bruce Schneier method is slow, and the Peter Gutmann method is marked (NOT RECOMMENDED) so we skipped it. The disk space wiping tool won't wipe protected drive spaces but works quickly otherwise.
We can't help but think that Files Terminator's developers are missing a trick by not building on the James Bond/Cold War thing that these algorithms have going on. While they're powerful, up-to-date standards for handling (make that obliterating) today's and tomorrow's data, the nomenclature has the retro vibe of the missiles-and-microfilm era. You needn't smirk, Mr. Bond: Your termination will be far more elaborate but just as thorough as Files Terminator's methods.
Files Terminator Free is used to delete files permanently. When you delete a file in reality this is not really deleted from your hard drive, you just made it invisible, so you can retrieve it with specific programs for the recovery of data. The program is designed to make sure the most of our privacy allows you to "finish", that is, to destroy permanently all the sensitive data in our computer that we do not want to go into the wrong hands, making it impossible to recover even with the use of professional software Undelete.
What's new in this version: Version 220.127.116.11:
- Added the guide and updated the translation into German language;
- Added the translation of the Traditional Chinese language program.
- Some small improvements
More Products to Consider
- Erase securely any file using encryption systems.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Hide all traces of your Internet history and other sensitive in...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Encrypt and decrypt your files.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Remove unwanted files from your computer completely.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Remove all your personal data from your computer before selling...
- Encrypt and decrypt files on your PC.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Shred data so it can't be recovered.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Delete files with no chance to recover them.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Delete files and folders completely.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Delete files/folders and destroy their content.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Secure your file and drive deletion on Windows systems.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
"Will not install"
Version: Files Terminator Free 18.104.22.168
None at all
Will not install
"the #1 data wiper anywhere"
Version: Files Terminator Free 22.214.171.124
Totally destroys data with a variety of selectable algorithms making it completely unrecoverable. Easy to use interface.
I wasn't able to delete more than 1 file at a time.
I've tried quite a few different file wipe programs, and I found this one to be the most efficient for my needs. Fast and accurate at what it does.
"Powerful and easy with several deletion methods"
Version: Files Terminator Free 126.96.36.199
Deleting files without the possibility of their recovery
Shares "drag and drop" support
Clear user interface
Deleting files and folders including their contents
No known negative
"Installed but did not work"
Version: Files Terminator Free 188.8.131.52
Installation was fast
Error Message: ActiveX component can't create object(429)
I uninstalled ERASER 5.8.8 which I have used for years, using Revo Uninstaller Professional. I restarted system and installed Files Terminator Free v184.108.40.206 using Revo Uninstaller Professional to trace and record installation in case I need to uninstall. The installation was quick. The application quickly opened. When I clicked to erase files it would not work at all and instead gave me an error message. I did a clean uninstall of "Files Terminator Free" and reinstalled ERASER.
"Easy and powerful"
Version: Files Terminator Free 220.127.116.11
Allows you to use many of cancellation algorithms
No fault found
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content