CNET Editors' review
When you delete files and folders in Windows, they're not really gone. To make sure something you want to delete has been wiped from your system, you need something stronger. Files Terminator Free Portable securely deletes files and folders and recovers free space in your disk drives. It's completely portable, so you can save it to a USB drive or similar device and run it on any compatible machine.
Files Terminator has a small but colorful interface that you might mistake for a pop-up ad if you only glance at it. A drop-down menu offers 9 different methods for overwriting and destroying data, from a fast Pseudorandom method to powerful seven-step methods. The 35-step Peter Gutmann method is included but is listed as Not Recommended. The program recommends the Random one-step method for most uses. This method overwrites deleted items with random data and is sufficient for most files. Files Terminator's options are limited to a choice of languages, though you can add a language if you need one that isn't listed. The interface has three buttons: Destroy Files(s), Destroy Folder, and Destroy Free space. The Free Space tool includes a drop-down list of all our disk drives and a shutdown check box.
Files Terminator is totally easy to use. We clicked Destroy File(s) and browsed to a target file. A pop-up advised us the data would be unrecoverable if we proceeded. We clicked OK, and another pop-up notified us the data had been wiped from existence. The Destroy Folder feature is basically identical, though for some reason the file browser pop-ups are different in appearance if not function. The disk space tool advised us to turn off file compression and indexing on the target disk and not to use the computer while it worked. We used it on an archive disk instead of our C drive. The documentation mentions drag-and-drop support, but that feature didn't work. We could open multiple instances of Files Terminator. Files Terminator Free Portable offers multiple choices for effectively and permanently destroying data.
Files Terminator Free Portable is used to delete files permanently. When you delete a file in reality this is not really deleted from your hard drive, you just made it invisible, so you can retrieve it with specific programs for the recovery of data. The program is designed to make sure the most of our privacy allows you to "finish", that is, to destroy permanently all the sensitive data in our computer that we do not want to go into the wrong hands, making it impossible to recover even with the use of professional software Undelete.
More Products to Consider
- Erase securely any file using encryption systems.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Overwrite files before deleting with different erasing methods.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt and decrypt files on your PC.
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Shred data so it can't be recovered.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Delete files with no chance to recover them.
- Delete tracks of your Internet usage.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Clean up the tracks of your offline and online computer activit...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Wipe sensitive data fully from your hard drive.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Recover or delete files completely.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Detect and remove pornography on your computer.
- Remove all your personal data from your computer before selling...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"delete files permanently. Very GOOD program"
Version: Files Terminator Free Portable 220.127.116.11
Supports several methods to erase files or folders more or less restrictive.
NO CONS at all
Program for all users
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content