CNET Editors' review
Fake Webcam isn't a lump of plastic that looks like a Webcam but isn't; it's software that simulates a Webcam feed with video. It can capture your desktop, screenshots, and real Webcam feeds, too, and overlay videos with text and effects. You can use Fake Webcam like a real Webcam's feed, but this interesting tool has other capabilities, such as creating presentations, promotional materials, training videos, and manuals, and broadcasting them like your regular Webcam via social media and IM clients. It's free to try for 30 days with a nag screen and watermark on output. But the full version costs about as much as a carry-out lunch.
Fake Webcam installed easily enough. The program makes use of several freeware tools such as media codec packs, screen capture tools, and file splitters; most of them were familiar to us as good performers. The only glitch involved an e-mail registration dialog that we couldn't opt out of. We're not crazy about registering our e-mail address to try before we buy, especially if it's mandatory. But closing, reopening, and updating the program yielded a different splash screen with a Try option. This screen, not the former version, subsequently appeared whenever we opened Fake Webcam. The program's simple interface displays tabs for Videos and Effects & Overlays on the left side, and a Preview screen that we could toggle open and closed to the right.
Fake Webcam is easy to use. We clicked Add Video, loaded a clip, and pressed Play. A prominent onscreen watermark proclaimed Fake Webcam Trial Version, but the video quality was fine otherwise. The Effects tab offers six choices, each with previews: Effects, Frames, Face, Images, GIF, and Flag. We clicked Flag, and Fake Webcam displayed a scrolling, alphabetized list of national flags. Clicking one transferred it to our video feed, where it waved in a simulated breeze. But removing effects from our preview image proved cumbersome; an undo button is needed. The Help file includes tips for configuring the program to work with many IM clients. Despite some clunkiness, we think plenty of users will want Fake Webcam on the menu.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Fake Webcam 7.1.
From Web Solution Mart:
Fake webcam installs itself as a webcam on your PC. Unlike an actual webcam which broadcasts what it sees in front of it, fake webcam broadcasts a video. You can apply cool effects on your webcam. You can broadcast videos as webcam. You can decorate your webcam with overlays, and frames. You can simply use it with any application including Yahoo, Skype, Window Live / MSN, Gtalk, Camfrog, AIM. It even works with web apps like Justin.tv, iVideoChat, LiveVideo, UStream.tv. It virtually works with all kind of webcam applications just like an actual webcam. You can apply effects like blur, flip, upside down, rotate, noise, tv wall. You can decorate webcam with nice borders, put images and moving gifs. You can play all type of videos including AVI, MPEG, MPG, WMV, RM, RAM, MOV, M1V, MP2, MPA, VOB, ASF, DAT, FLV, FLV2, MP4, SWF, BMP, PNG, JPG. You can even use it with multiple programs simultaneously.
What's new in this version: Version 7.3: User can rename fake webcam. Fake webcam will work for windows 8 metro apps.
More Products to Consider
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Play video on webcam and add various effects.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Simulate a Webcam using your video files.
- Show videos as virtual Web cam during video chat.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Apply hundreds of effects, overlays, frames, images on your web...
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Stream your own creative visual effects.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Capture, edit, print, and share photos and videos from your Web...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Change your voice from male to female, female to male, young to...
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Add a virtual web cam to your PC.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Communicate in Webcam chat rooms using various nickfaces and ni...
- Record video with sound, convert, cut, join, mix, and apply eff...
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 69 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: