CNET Editors' review
Electric Sheep is a free screensaver that lets your computer join a global network of computers processing "electric sheep"--striking, ever-changing, abstract fractal animations generated with a genetic algorithm (taking their name from the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick).
Your computer downloads and displays sheep from the current "flock" as your screensaver, while running in the background, your CPU contributes to the parallel computation and mutation of new sheep, joining thousands of other computers around the world. You can also vote on sheep with your up and down arrow keys to help guide how new flocks evolve. Electric Sheep now also has better compatibility with Snow Leopard, including support for multiple monitors--and you can set them up to render different sheep or the same sheep.
Electric Sheep works best with a broadband connection, and casual users might be frustrated by the app's setup, since it can take a long time to download the initial flock. (More sophisticated users can kick-start the process by manually downloading the current flock with BitTorrent--which unfortunately isn't integrated into the Mac client for Electric Sheep.)
Electric Sheep is a free, open source screen saver run by thousands of people all over the world. It can be installed on any ordinary PC or Mac. When these computers "sleep", the screen saver comes on and the computers communicate with each other by the internet to share the work of creating morphing abstract animations known as "sheep". The result is a collective "android dream", an homage to Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
Anyone watching one of these computers may vote for their favorite animations using the keyboard. The more popular sheep live longer and reproduce according to a genetic algorithm with mutation and cross-over. Hence the flock evolves to please its global audience. You can also design your own sheep and submit them to the gene pool.
More Products to Consider
- View a near-real-time high-resolution image of Earth on your de...
- Display your screensaver as your desktop background.
- Screensaver runs QuickTime & Flash movies.
- Realistic 3D fish swim around your desktop.
- An uplifting screensaver to put you in a good mood.
- Like Berkeley's old After Dark.
- Add a clock screensaver with real-time minutes dropped into wat...
- Watch the Matrix code in 3D.
- Create screen savers for the Macintosh easily.
- Large collection of classic screensavers.
- Travel through a tunnel on your desktop with configurable color...
- Turn your OS X desktop into a realistic-looking 3D aquarium.
- Screensaver that draws fractal images.
- Run a screensaver as a desktop picture.
- Let your toddler learn on your computer without losing importan...
- Detect which music is playing and displays cover art and detail...
- Displays black screen with transparency.
- Save your screen with amazing images taken by the Hubble Space ...
- Put a menu bar item to temporarily disable sleep and screen sav...
- Customize energy saver settings for individual apps.
- Dive into the ocean on your desktop.
- Watch the Matrix code on your screen.
- Computer usage monitoring tool for parental control.
- Create high-quality animated Web banners.
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I Love This Program"
Version: Electric Sheep 2.7b22
It works great with OSX 10.7.3, Lion. Once you figure out how to open the User Library by using the Go in the Finder menu bar and pushing option at the same time, you can add lots of extra downloaded sheep. Electric Sheep 2.7b34 is even better.
There are no cons