CNET Editors' review
Earthquake 3D provides a fascinating look at recent seismic activity around the globe. While the program provides a great deal of information and options, it suffers from its complete lack of direction.
We were initially impressed with the interface. The controls all looked basic, but soon we discovered that the Help file didn't do more than give a description of the product, and some actions we wanted to perform were not intuitive enough. The program itself was a spinning globe with magnitudes and the traditional multiring circles indicating earthquakes. We appreciated how the control panel let us filter quakes by severity and changed the globe's look to better see the quakes. This all functioned great, but zooming in was impossible. We learned with ease how to rotate the globe using our mouse, but could not get a closer look, even though it's the first thing the description promised. After several fruitless minutes we grew frustrated and gave up. On a more interesting note, the program did have a feature that updated the globe with the newest quakes. But this wasn't enough to rescue this program from its unfortunate lack of direction.
Earthquake 3D is a freeware program. The program comes as a compressed file. Even though we loved most aspects of this program, its lack of direction makes it hard to recommend.
Zoom and spin your way around the globe while viewing earthquakes in 3D. Adjust and customize the display to see earthquakes in a variety of different ways. Filter earthquakes by size and time - then select from many options that include quake indicators and map references. Earthquakes are shown in near real-time using the latest data from the USGS via the Internet.
What's new in this version: Version 2.9 updates the USGS data feed.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Download Google Maps, save GPS, rectify images, and edit and ma...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Navigate the world map and obtain information on 237 countries ...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Combine together maps, satellite imagery, GPS tracking, instant...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get tools, documentation, and samples for building, testing, an...
- Create a solar system model on your PC.
- View the night sky as it appears from anywhere on Earth with th...
- Turn your computer to an interactive physics laboratory.
- View landscapes and animated butterflies on your desktop.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Track the sun, moon, planets, and astronomic events.
- View various landscapes including Zion Canyon.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- View our planet in 3D and get references on countries and citie...
- View the same images that scientists at NASA use for their rese...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Study world geography and zoom in and pan around the world map ...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 35 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"half way works"
Version: Earthquake 3D 2.9
USED TO BE... great! Used it for a couple years with no problem, You could set 5 different screens and save all the different settings, instead of starting from scratch each time you open it.
Used to work, too.
I get the control panel part of the sae-up but I can't get the world pannel to see what is there. The only thing that works is the USGS button that takes me to the internet page.
Totally extracted this program and re-installed.....THREE times! No change. This 'new' version is a bust for me.
I miss the old ...(working) edition. Sigh, not everything gets better in cyberland.