CNET Editors' review
Earthquake 3D provides a fascinating look at recent seismic activity around the globe. While the program provides a great deal of information and options, it suffers from its complete lack of direction.
We were initially impressed with the interface. The controls all looked basic, but soon we discovered that the Help file didn't do more than give a description of the product, and some actions we wanted to perform were not intuitive enough. The program itself was a spinning globe with magnitudes and the traditional multiring circles indicating earthquakes. We appreciated how the control panel let us filter quakes by severity and changed the globe's look to better see the quakes. This all functioned great, but zooming in was impossible. We learned with ease how to rotate the globe using our mouse, but could not get a closer look, even though it's the first thing the description promised. After several fruitless minutes we grew frustrated and gave up. On a more interesting note, the program did have a feature that updated the globe with the newest quakes. But this wasn't enough to rescue this program from its unfortunate lack of direction.
Earthquake 3D is a freeware program. The program comes as a compressed file. Even though we loved most aspects of this program, its lack of direction makes it hard to recommend.
Zoom and spin your way around the globe while viewing earthquakes in 3D. Adjust and customize the display to see earthquakes in a variety of different ways. Filter earthquakes by size and time - then select from many options that include quake indicators and map references. Earthquakes are shown in near real-time using the latest data from the USGS via the Internet.
What's new in this version: Version 2.9 updates the USGS data feed.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Turn your computer to an interactive physics laboratory.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Create a solar system model on your PC.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Learn chemistry with this periodic table, database of the eleme...
- Experience simulated space travel to over 100,000 stars.
- View the same images that scientists at NASA use for their rese...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Track the sun, moon, planets, and astronomic events.
- Create a virtual sky on your PC.
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- View the night sky as it appears from anywhere on Earth with th...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Create unique and beautiful 3D family tree charts from your gen...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 36 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Fix to screen problem"
Version: Earthquake 3D 2.9
I had the same problem when I came across your problem description.
To fix, delete c:\windows\eq3d.ini. Simple, old school. Took a while to find it though. Some basic doc would be nice.
No documentation on the basics of how this works or where its control files are.
"half way works"
Version: Earthquake 3D 2.9
USED TO BE... great! Used it for a couple years with no problem, You could set 5 different screens and save all the different settings, instead of starting from scratch each time you open it.
Used to work, too.
I get the control panel part of the sae-up but I can't get the world pannel to see what is there. The only thing that works is the USGS button that takes me to the internet page.
Totally extracted this program and re-installed.....THREE times! No change. This 'new' version is a bust for me.
I miss the old ...(working) edition. Sigh, not everything gets better in cyberland.