CNET Editors' review
We love screen-capture utilities, perhaps because they can be both incredibly useful and a lot of fun. DuckCapture promised to be one of the better ones we've tried, and we were especially excited about checking out its autoscroll feature. Unfortunately, DuckCapture wasn't all we had hoped. It works well for the most part; but for us, it had one fatal flaw.
The program has a straightforward interface, with icons that users can click to select the region, window, full screen, or scrolling page that they want to capture. The scrolling feature is especially cool; click on a long Web page that you want to capture, and DuckCapture will automatically scroll down and capture the entire thing. Once the capture is done, users can annotate it, copy it to the clipboard, print it, or even share it on Minus, a file-sharing Web site. Ostensibly, users can also save their captures as images, but that's where we ran into problems. Try as we might, we could not successfully save any of our screen captures. We tried saving them as different file types and in different locations, but when we went to open them, they weren't there. A search of our machine indicated that we hadn't inadvertently saved them to some obscure directory; they had just vanished. This is obviously a major problem for a screen-capture utility, and one that we're at a loss to explain. The program has no Help file to speak of, so we weren't able to take any troubleshooting steps. There are workarounds--we were able to upload our captures to Minus and then save them to our computer--but that's obviously not how we'd prefer to do things. Overall, we think that DuckCapture has a lot of potential, but we'll probably stick to other utilities that reliably work for us.
DuckCapture installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program with reservations.
DuckLink Screen Capture (AKA: DuckCapture) comes with four capture modes that make screen capture easy! Capture a window on your screen, region of your screen, or the contents of a tall web page that scrolls. Moreover, you can change your captured area or add more areas to one image. DuckCapture allows you to add annotations and informative text by marking the area. When finished, you can save to file, copy to clipboard or print out directly. Functionalities of DuckCaptuer can also be extended by scripts, e.g. using email or FTP to upload or send to a specific position.
What's new in this version: Version 2.7 updated scrolling feature, fixed system tray panel and file saving.
More Products to Consider
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Repair Internet connectivity problems and issues.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit your right click menu and add features in the way you want...
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Capture, edit, and share screenshots and HD videos.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Log the computer activities of your family members.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Activate a tab group and letter or symbol to launch an applicat...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:4.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"I can't believe it's free!"
Version: DuckCapture 2.7
My PC has Windows 8.1 pro x64 and I have tried the most expensive screen capture software around the world and all of them just failed. DuckCapture version 2.7 worked fine, captured scrolling WebPage flawlessly with chrome browser. My sadness gone away!
The software doesn't include a image editor.
Very Good software!
"I know no other programs that can do this!"
Version: DuckCapture 2.7
The pros are simple: this program allows you to take screen shots of much more than what's on your screen! You capture all the contents that you can scroll through! It makes for an interesting picture for really long webpages.
(one exception: read summary below-it took me a little while to figure that out, and until I did figure it out, I thought the program didn't work!)
So I guess the instructions could clarify this, that would have helped me a lot. But it's still a uniqu program.
Just a word of advice: for capturing a long webpage, just click the left mouse button once when you're ready to capture the page, and then don't move the mouse again until it's done. There may be several seconds after you press the mouse button in which it appears to be doing nothing at all, but just don't do anything (that includes moving the mouse!) until it has scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page on its own, and has opened up the dialog box asking you what you want to do with the image file.
"WHOLE WEB PAGE CAPTURE"
Version: DuckCapture 2.7
FULL WEB PAGE CAPTURE
NOT DO I KNOW OF FOR NOW
SIMILAR TO SCREENHUNT AND MIGHT BE BETTER
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content