CNET Editors' note: Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, as the software may contain bugs or potentially damage your system. We strongly recommend that users exercise caution and save all mission-critical data before installing and/or using this software.
CNET Editors' review
Dropbox for Mac is a Web-based storage location that syncs with specified files or folders on your Mac, allowing you to access them from anywhere. If you have two or more machines using the same Dropbox, changes to a Dropbox-tagged file will be synced on the other devices. Working across Mac, Linux, and Windows, Dropbox for Mac lets you access files even when miles away from your main machine (and even when its off).
To use Dropbox for Mac you need an account, although setting one up is easy. A free account is available that lets you sync 2GB. The Pro version costs $9.99 a month and supports over 100GB, while the Team version lets you sync 1TB (you get more space on each plan by referring new customers to Dropbox). To use Dropbox for Mac, a folder is created into which you copy folders and files (or pointers to files), and those are then synced with the Dropbox server. Obviously, you need an Internet connection to maintain the concurrency of those files, but any updates are synced as soon as you save. To access those files from another device, you install the Dropbox software and log in to your account. The files on the server are synced to your local device.
We've used Dropbox for Windows for quite a while now, and Dropbox for Mac provides a Mac client that lets us move our Office files around regardless of the laptop we're carrying. Once set up, Dropbox for Mac works cleanly and in background. We use it to access work files from home, and vice versa. In almost a year of use, we've never had an issue with Dropbox.Dropbox for Mac - Back up and share your files - Download Video Previews:
Have you ever wished that you could access your files from anywhere? We made Dropbox because we were tired of e-mailing files to ourselves or carrying around a USB key. Once installed, Dropbox is just like any other folder on your computer, but with a twist. Any file you put in it will synchronize both to any other computers you may have on Dropbox, as well as to the web. Furthermore, any changes you make to any of your files will be sync'd up to all your other computers instantly, across Windows, Mac and Linux. Dropbox also makes it very easy to share and collaborate on files with others.
What's new in this version:
- Reduce CPU usage when updating the UI during simultaneous downloading and indexing.
- Reduce CPU usage & disk I/O resulting from extraneous updates to file change-times (only affects Mac/Linux)
- Additional minor bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Access all the files on your computer from any smartphone, tabl...
- Back up your important files and folders.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Transfer files between computers.
- Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- Share and backup photos, music, data, and video files to any dr...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Synchronize and back up your files/folders.
- Share files without wasting time and space.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Data recovery software.
- FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files and Amazon S3 browser.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Access Bonjour services on home or office networks from anywher...
- Screen capture utility.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Copy music off iPod & add driving directions, weather, showtime...
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Catalog your removable media.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 234 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Dropbox 2.7.41
I use this always to sync items with my iPad for future reading.
To many f@*$%&#!ing updates. What's with the nearly weekly updates and no explanation for it? Give us some hints why as it is irritating to update so often.