CNET Editors' review
Dropbox for Mac is a Web-based storage location that syncs with specified files or folders on your Mac, allowing you to access them from anywhere. If you have two or more machines using the same Dropbox, changes to a Dropbox-tagged file will be synced on the other devices. Working across Mac, Linux, and Windows, Dropbox for Mac lets you access files even when miles away from your main machine (and even when its off).
To use Dropbox for Mac you need an account, although setting one up is easy. A free account is available that lets you sync 2GB. The Pro version costs $9.99 a month and supports over 100GB, while the Team version lets you sync 1TB (you get more space on each plan by referring new customers to Dropbox). To use Dropbox for Mac, a folder is created into which you copy folders and files (or pointers to files), and those are then synced with the Dropbox server. Obviously, you need an Internet connection to maintain the concurrency of those files, but any updates are synced as soon as you save. To access those files from another device, you install the Dropbox software and log in to your account. The files on the server are synced to your local device.
We've used Dropbox for Windows for quite a while now, and Dropbox for Mac provides a Mac client that lets us move our Office files around regardless of the laptop we're carrying. Once set up, Dropbox for Mac works cleanly and in background. We use it to access work files from home, and vice versa. In almost a year of use, we've never had an issue with Dropbox.Dropbox for Mac - Back up and share your files - Download Video Previews:
Have you ever wished that you could access your files from anywhere? We made Dropbox because we were tired of e-mailing files to ourselves or carrying around a USB key. Once installed, Dropbox is just like any other folder on your computer, but with a twist. Any file you put in it will synchronize both to any other computers you may have on Dropbox, as well as to the web. Furthermore, any changes you make to any of your files will be sync'd up to all your other computers instantly, across Windows, Mac and Linux. Dropbox also makes it very easy to share and collaborate on files with others.
What's new in this version:
- Fix an issue on Mac OS X 10.4 which causes files to disappear after uploading.
- Fix a rare issue on Windows which causes Dropbox to endlessly sync files with long paths
More Products to Consider
- Setup & manage airport base stations.
- Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Blackberry Extractor for Mac extracts data from .IPD (blackberr...
- Automatic backup and synchronization utility.
- Accomplish frequently needed complex tasks in Excel with mostly...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Manage system and user services on your Mac.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Browse Time Machine backups and find frequently copied items.
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Extend OS X's native file handling capabilities via third-party...
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 216 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Very helpful and useful"
Version: Dropbox 2.2.3
Easyest sharing between different devices and Systems: PC, Mac, iOS, Android
On Mac there are extremely often updates. So I am very unsure if it is in a unstable code.
I use it dayly - I won't miss it.