DocPad is a free alternative to Notepad. Although it fills the same role, plain text editing, it offers an arsenal of time-saving tools: block indent/unindent, bookmarking, case conversion, customizable toolbar, encoding conversion, file history, jump to line/offset, keyboard macros, print preview, search and replace, skinnable interface, spell checking, statistics, variable pitch font, and much more. It also includes a built-in calculator, calendar, and character map.
What's new in this version: Version 13.0 added support for running from a USB flash drive and the "Open Nonstandard Document" tool to the File menu. This allows you to open unicode files that have no byte order.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Print the directory tree of any Windows folder.
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Record music broadcasted by internet-radio stations.
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Add search feature to commonly used programs.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Edit, format, organize, store, search, and encrypt different ki...
- Remove any formatting from the Clipboard.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Search, view, and modify records of text Clipboard data.
- Changes the visual appearance of windows or dialogs in your app...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-6 of 6
"Should be incorporated into Windows."
Version: DocPad 12.1
Easy to use and customize.
Option to replace Notepad associations.
None at all
What can I say? I've tried so many text editors, most have been slow programmers overkill tools. They are great for that, but I mostly want something that pops up as fast as I can click, but gives me better operability than Notepad.
This is just the step up from notepad I need; not too much, not too little.
It is the perfect Notepad replacement for everyday text editing. I will keep NoteTab for more heavy-duty work.
"great very small program easy to use & free"
Version: DocPad 10.0
great program easy to use spell cheacker included & other stuff i dont use mainly use it for spellchecker. its free low memory usage i still use to this day calculator is included & others
nothing i can think
i was looking for spellchecker program only i found this its great easy use. its easy to use little kids can use it and its free not sure what else i can say
"OK...BUT... complicated dictionary & no text dragging"
Version: DocPad 9.0
It does have a spell checker, but
Needed dictionary. I typed "STUFFFED" to see how the dictionary worked. It had of list of over 100 words. This is never going to save time. I couldn't find ''STUFFED". Although it was happy when I spelled it correctly. Also no dragging text.
You will have to download the dictionary from their website. I just want a notepad with a spell check and to be able to drag text... help!
Version: DocPad 8.1
The convenience of Note pad with the icons of Windows.
None so far.
What a pleasure! Looking forward to tring out features I haven't had a chance to test drive.
"Top of the Line Text Editor"
Version: DocPad 5.2
Let me first say that the person who rated this software two stars must have not understood the rating system. I have read reviews that told how much they loved some product and then gave it a one star rating, weird huh? Well I have used DocPad for a long time and before that used MS NotePad & WordPad and can tell you that I have never had a problem with any version of DocPad. It does what is I ask of it and more, I cut and paste parts of websites, use it for work, pull entire pages off the web and modify them for my needs. The fonts look great and you can even change the skins or make a custom color combination. Some people might not think that the colors are a big deal but if you work for a long time some color change can really help you to focus or relax, it makes a difference, try it. If you need a change from MS and would like a good text editor then give DocPad a try and I think you will love this as much as I do. Thank You to all the developers who made this great tool available to us for FREE. Joseph W. aka WaterRabbit
"not good enough"
Version: DocPad 4
Has some nice skins, calculator, more font colors...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: