CNET Editors' review
Display Changer from 12noon is a free display management utility that can change the height, width, color, and other aspects of your desktop via command-line switches. It can manage multiple monitor configurations, too. What may be its neatest trick is its ability to run an application in a different display resolution and return to normal resolution when the program ends. If you like to record and watch video on your PC, you can use it to temporarily configure your screen to display TV-quality video and return to a higher resolution when your player closes. You can also create shortcuts for quickly changing your display resolution, orientation, color, and much more.
The installer offers both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Display Changer's Console version, which is best for batches and script, and a Windows version, which quickly creates shortcuts that you can click to change screen resolution or specify other functions from the desktop. We ran the 64-bit Console edition, opened the Command Prompt and typed in the command to list our system's dual displays, a digital LCD monitor and a digital flat-panel TV. Next we entered the command to detach our second monitor, the TV. What Display Changer does best is make quick, temporary changes when specific programs run, so we decided to change our main display's resolution from 1920x1080 to a lower resolution suitable for watching old cartoons copied from videotape; in this case, 1024x768. We entered the switch, following the guidance of the program's Web site. Display Changer instantly changed our screen's resolution. After we'd made the change, we opened the 64-bit Windows executable, which created a shortcut to apply the settings. We restored our monitor's settings using the system's graphics properties and created a shortcut for our current settings. We then clicked the 1024x768 shortcut, which was clearly labeled, and our screen resolution changed instantly. Clicking the other shortcut restored our optimal settings. The program's Web site lists numerous switches, parameters, and examples of the many things this versatile tool can do.
Obviously, Display Changer isn't for inexperienced users or those who want nothing to do with command lines. If you're old-school, hard-core, mad skilled, or just like to learn different ways to do things, Display Changer can make it happen.
With Display Changer change your desktop width, height, color depth, and refresh rate temporarily or permanently via command line switches. It also supports multi-monitor configurations. You can have Display Changer run another application in a specific display resolution and return to the previous resolution when the application finishes. DC can also re-arrange monitors in a multiple monitor configuration. The command line switches let you alter only certain dimensions and choose the best refresh rate or a specific one. Running reschange.exe without any switches displays usage information.
What's new in this version: Version 4.3.2 fixed issue with -top/-bottom switches.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- View information about your system.
- Increase your productivity with new window actions.
- Generate test papers based on entered questions.
- Capture an image and save it as a PNG, JPEG, or BMP file.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Organize all your Windows desktop icons.
- Zoom anything on your screen.
- Recover files from your damaged media.
- Schedule and manage your accounts, appointments, deadlines, deb...
- Enhance Internet Explorer.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Does What It Says IT Does"
Version: Display Changer 4.3.2
FREE!, Easy to execute, Best of all, it works!
Handy for NetBooks since many display best at 1024x640 and applications like iTunes runs best at higher resolution. This app. can be executed before running iTunes and have your Netbook change resolution automatically before iTunes runs, then automatically change back when iTunes ends.
Hard to find instructions. Outdated install for Win7, but it works. A lot of hoopla for what the application does!
Easiest way to find instructions is by running the program on the command line with no parameters and then the program lists all the options.
A lot of hoopla for what the application does, however, it's a must have for netbook owners whose optimal resolution is different than what some applications, like iTunes, require.