CNET Editors' review
DesktopOK is a basic, compact program that lets you save and restore the positions of your desktop icons. It's nothing fancy, but if you frequently end up with a desktop full of scrambled icons, this program could make your life just a little bit easier.
The program's interface is basic, and although it's fairly easy to figure out by virtue of its lack of features, some tool tips for the buttons would have been nice, especially the "Punch the Icons" button, which rearranges all of the icons on the desktop, as we learned the hard way. Fortunately, we'd already used DesktopOK to save our icon layout and were able to restore it easily, but we'd have been pretty irritated if we'd clicked the Punch the Icons button first. Using DesktopOK is fairly straightforward: simply click the Save button to save the current arrangement of icons and Restore to fix them after they've become disorganized. You can save multiple icon arrangements and name them for reference. The program comes with a brief HTML Help file that opens in Internet Explorer, which is mildly annoying. Overall, DesktopOK certainly isn't sophisticated, but it is an easy-to-use tool for tidying up your desktop icons after they've gotten out of place. We like that it's small and portable, making it easy to keep handy on a thumb drive.
DesktopOK is free. It comes as a zip file and is accessible after extraction with no need to install. We recommend this program to all users.
From Nenad Hrg:
DesktopOK is a solution for users that have to change the screen resolution. It allows you to save your icon locations for each screen resolution. Each user can then have, his own arrangement. Minimize to tray area for easy access. Launch at Windows startup. DesktopOK does not have to be installed and can be executed easily from the desktop, and can be carried on a small USB-stick or other memory device.
What's new in this version: Version 3.61 updates the language files and verified and tested for Win 8.1 on Windows-8.1 Pro.
More Products to Consider
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Display unlimited world clocks with world map on your desktop.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Restore and save positions of your desktop icons for Windows.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Manage startup files, registry keys, and values against Trojan ...
- Compress files and folders with UPX, MPRESS, ZIP, and 7Z format...
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Download a Web site to local directory for offline browsing.
- Grab and save objects as they are copied to the Windows Clipboa...
- Split and merge files easily.
- Organize shortcuts into groups and categories using application...
- Improve your productivity with desktop customization tools (500...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 35 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"works as stated"
Version: DesktopOK 3.61
seems to work
non so far
Version: DesktopOK 3.61
Simple, effective program that restores your icons to the positions where you placed them on your desktop (when they occasionally get jumbled or reordered on a reboot.) Can save multiple desktop configurations.
The file of this version, 3.61, is corrupt. Corrupt here at CNet, at Softpedia, and at the publisher's site, SoftwareOK.
Wait for version 3.62
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content