CNET Editors' review
Desktop Groups is a simple app you can use to create folders on your desktop that can contain any number of files. Designed to help clean up the clutter on your desktop, Desktop Groups lets you create as many folders as you wish, add or delete files in a folder, and move the folder and all its contents around as you need. There is a free version of the app called Desktop Groups Lite, while the full version is sold for $5.99.
Installing Desktop Groups is easy and the app runs cleanly. You can create folders with any title you wish, then drag and drop files to add them to the folders. Similarly, opening the folder lets you drag and drop files to remove them. You can see what's in folders by hovering the cursor over them, and you can adjust the display of a folder's contents and the visual opacity of the folder (including having different background colors for each folder).
Desktop Groups will appeal to those who like to have a clean desktop and organize their files for quick access through an icon on the desktop (instead of digging around through the Finder). While it's a simple concept, many will find Desktop Groups a handy addition, while others will not think it is worth the money. That decision comes down to how organized you want to be and what that organization is worth to you. Desktop Groups worked fine for us.
From Kitestack Software:
The app lets you create groups of related files on your desktop. You can freely move groups of files around on your desktop and add or remove files via drag & drop.
Each group has a title so that you can organize your files any way you like. For example, you could create separate groups for each project you are working on, or add separate groups for photos and text documents. If you frequently take screenshots, that would be another good fit for a group. The possibilities are endless.
Quick Look integration: press Space or Ã?Â¢??Y to open a Quick Look preview of the selected file.
What's new in this version:
- New: Two-line file names
- New: Auto-updating groups (when files are added, renamed, moved, etc.)
- New: Renaming files and folders by pressing Enter
- New: Move files to Trash (via context menu, drag to Trash, Command - Backspace)
- New: Command - O now opens the selected file
- Improved: Groups now don't overlap desktops in Mission Control
- Improved: Esc key clears the selection
- Improved: When closing a group, files are moved to Deskt... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Make the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of ...
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Icon and Dock cataloging and customization.
- Keep related files in groups on the desktop.
- Display and hide hidden files.
- Printer driver.
- Enjoy a clean and tidy Macintosh.
- AirPlay mirror your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to any Mac.
- Tidy your whole Desktop into a clean folder.
- Replaces the application's name with its icon in the system men...
- Organizes the files on your desktop by type for you.
- Rotating picture cube for your desktop.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content