CNET Editors' review
Debut Video Recording Software Professional Version from NCH Software turns your computer into a flexible, capable video capture and recording device. It can record video from a wide range of sources, including VHS VCRs, and save it in many formats; it can also capture screenshots and save them as JPEG stills. It will even capture and record video playing on your PC's screen. When all else fails but you've just got to save that clip, Debut can save the day.
Debut detected our video capture and playback devices, but it will automatically configure itself as a screen capture tool if no such devices are present. A full-featured, up-to-date interface let us not only capture and record video but also schedule and manage recordings. We pressed the first button on the toolbar, Webcam, and immediately our system's camera became active and started recording video. Clicking Device accessed a VHS video recorder via the line-in jacks on our video card; clicking Screen displayed our current screen view. The Schedule and Recordings functions needed no explanation, but the Selections tool proved more intriguing. This let us drag open a rectangular capture window on our desktop, or capture an entire window, and save only our selection, excluding the rest of the desktop. This greatly simplifies editing screen-captured video displayed in a small window. The program's options are basic for the genre, though we could configure snapshot quality, select a camera shutter sound, and defeat Debut's window in video recordings to prevent mirror effects. Debut also works with NHC's BroadCam live video streaming software to stream your video online, a capacity we didn't test.
Recording VHS video with Debut proved as easy as recording any video input via our system's video card (hooking a VCR up to a PC is the tricky part). We consider the results excellent: VHS-to-PC is limited by the quality of the source, which in this case is far inferior to your PC's screen. However, your digitally dubbed tapes will look normal when played back at the correct resolution on your TV. The ability to work well with a wide range of such devices sets Debut apart from less capable shareware and freeware video recording tools.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Debut Video Recording Software Professional Version 1.49. The trial version is limited to 14 days.
From NCH Software:
Debut is a simple professional video recording software. Record videos from your screen or other video devices. Capture your entire desktop or a selected portion and save the recorded video as avi, flv, wmv or other video file formats. E-mail video recordings automatically when recordings has stopped or send via FTP. Set Debut to record video at specific times, record computer games, create how to demonstrations, capture video messages.
Video Capture Features:; Automatically detects cameras connected to your PC; Record video in many different file formats including .avi, .wmv, and .asf; Multiple video and audio encoder settings; Change resolution and framerate of the output video; Adjust color settings for the output video; Lets you record video for set periods of time (h:mm:ss); Allows you to record movements on a PC screen, or "screen capture"; Optional sound recording for Screen Capture; When recording period is over, you can either stop recording or create a new recording and continue; Mirror recordings to a network or backup drive to keep your video files safe; Can be set to automatically send video via e-mail once the recording is completed; Can automatically transmit video files via the internet using FTP; Find and play recordings ordered by name, date, format or size; System wide hot-key assignment; Debut Video Recorder has an incredibly intuitive and easy to use interface; Compatible with BroadCam Streaming Video server to distribute your recording.
What's new in this version: Version 1.88 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Edit movies and other video recordings on a Windows PC.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Record the films from your AV device, such as video tapes and w...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Burn audio and data CDs, video DVDs, and Blu-ray data discs.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Detect motion and capture single or multiple video channels sim...
- Convert video files from avi, mpg, vob, wmv into avi, asf or wm...
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Broadcast live and recorded video on the Web.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Convert image and photo files between different formats, add wa...
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Record videos from various PC video capture devices.
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert various video to RMVB video format.
- Convert general videos and HD videos to your desired HD formats...
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 150 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Worked fine for me"
Version: Debut Video Capture Software Professional 1.88
Easy to use
None. No, really, I can't think of any cons.
What more can I say?
Version: Debut Video Capture Software Professional 1.88
If you want to use system sound (versus mic) then you have to install another component which requires a reboot.
You cannot record a region, a basic necessity of screen recording. They have a tutorial (workaround, really) about how to accomplish this but it's far too difficult.
Last, when I uninstalled it I had a surprise reboot happen. No warning, just a reboot.
There must be better software out there.