CNET Editors' review
Daminion specializes in LAN-based digital image management systems optimized for small teams, but their standalone Windows client is available for free. Daminion catalogs your image assets. It can import, export, and manage image data in a wide range of formats; import and export Tags and Filter data; store data inside files; and integrate with a variety of other systems. Daminion is a complex tool that can handle professional duties, not a quick fix for users who simply want to tag their digital snapshots--and it takes a little effort to learn its ways.
Daminion's interface has a familiar layout, with navigation sidebars on either side of a main view that displays single or multiple images. The program's overall style takes cues from business software as well as image tools. It's easy to switch and resize views right from the interface. There's also a compact view and various options such as a Tray and Film Strip, and easy access to Sync, Search, and Advanced features. The menu bar's Catalog and Item menus clued us in to Daminion's operations, and the Catalog Tags sidebar's quick access to data options such as Camera Model and Camera Lens and categories like People, Place, and Events hinted at its capabilities. Daminion's Startup Wizard offered to import images from files or folders or from PicaJet albums and shared catalogs. While Daminion isn't too difficult to pick up, there's no reason to do it the hard way when clicking Help accesses not only a full Help file but also the Startup Wizard and Tutorials. We could also click Ask a Question for more support.
Daminion saves catalogs as proprietary .DMC files, but can import and export images and data from other sources, too. We saved and named a Catalog and clicked Add Files and also dragged files into the Tray and the Filmstrip. Daminion is fast; scanning nearly 10,000 image files to import in a few seconds. We could group files by Capture Time, create subfolders, rename files, and assign Tag presets while importing files, too. We just scratched the surface of this top-quality freeware, but Daminion certainly interviews well!
From Daminion Software:
Daminion is a multi-user, easy-to-use digital photo and media management solution for small teams and home users. Easy asset cataloging means goodbye to last-minute scrambling. Daminion also supports storage of data inside files, including copyright information, synchronization of database information with EXIF, IPTC, XMP, and MWG, as well as format-specific metadata in a wide variety of formats. The metadata mark your copyrighted material; this helps to protect your intellectual property rights. Daminion supports a wide variety of media formats, including raster, vector, camera RAW images, video, music and PDF files. Your library remains portable: catalogs contain relative file paths. That means you can easily move a folder with media files and the catalog to a new location. Multiple catalogs can be opened in separate tabs simultaneously in modern web browsers. You can work with Shared and Local catalogs in the same workspace as well. The program's export feature supports optimization on demand; users can export media files with specific conversion rules. In one click your files can be optimized for uploading to Flickr or Facebook. Convert files on demand without redundant file duplicates or different image sizes and formats. Daminion is a full-featured digital asset management solution that will help you get the most out of your assets. Catalog it, move it, share it and do everything else you need, all from within Daminion. Know where your content is - and then put it to work.
What's new in this version: - Improved Export; - Some import settings (file and folder naming rules, a way of importing) can be locked by the administrator; - Added Dropbox integration; - Added Export to CSV feature; - Improved Color Management support; - More than 70 minor improvements and bug-fixes;
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Provide digital photo management system for small teams.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Keep all your passwords securely in encrypted form.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Monitor the processes and network from your desktop.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Clean and optimize your PC with a crowd-sourced approach.
- Scan and monitor your file collections to delete duplicate ones...
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Show a PC audit in your browser with details on hardware and so...
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"One of the best photo management software"
Version: Daminion 0.8.7.456
It focused on media management without built-in fancy image editing tools. All the tag annotations are applied to the file metadata so my annotations are always travel along with my files. It occurs automatically and very fast, even for my Camera RAW files (NEF, DNG).
Any image or image set can be located by maximally 2-3 mouse clicks. My private photos separated from my portfolio images by several catalogs that I can open side-by-side like web-pages on the modern web-browsers.
And of course the unbeatable feature of the Daminion is its TRUE multi-user capabilities. I can manage the same photo archive with my wife - each one from his/her own computers without having duplicates and headache to remember about constantly sync the computers.
Supports a range of Adobe formats: InDesign (INDD), Illustrator (AI), Photoshop (PSD), Digital Negative (DNG) and PDF.
- It doesn't support Mac, although I don't care about this - probably someone would like to use Daminion Mac version.
- It doesn't support uploading to my Flickr although they have Export SDK and probably I'll write a small Daminion addon that helps to upload to Flickr soon.
Overall very promising piece of software especially because of its multi-user capabilities. There are a lot of image management tools on the market but no one provides safe, fast multi-user capabilities like Daminion.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content