CNET Editors' review
Don't let its archaic name fool you; Cyberlink PowerDVD may sound like a name that's rooted in history, but it's actually an innovative media player and library manager that goes beyond just standard disc playback. In fact, PowerDVD 13 aims to distinguish itself from the premium media player crowd with features like "TrueTheater" enhancements, presentable media browsing, and customizable playback tools. To wrap it all up, PowerDVD also aims to rope all your media devices into one connected experience.
The installation process is standard: Cyberlink takes about 360MB of space and leaves a light footprint. And like any good media experience, it's important to at least have some organization with your media content if you haven't already done so; Cyberlink will add your system's default "My Videos" and "My Pictures" folders and display just about every video on your PC. Do yourself a favor and separate them into folders in advance for the best navigation setup.
Browsing your media is now a pleasant experience. PowerDVD will generate a thumbnail for every movie file and present your library in a photo-gallery like mode over a dark layout. By default, PowerDVD separates your content by identifying your files as photos, videos, or movies by size and type. PowerDVD will also scan your movie library and cross-reference your files with an online database to display movie information like summaries, reviews, and thumbnails. When combined with the use of a remote or smartphone via Wi-Fi and Cinema mode, your movies are displayed in a layout comparable to that of XBMC and Steam's Big Picture mode.
The meat of the application is in PowerDVD's playback delivery. In addition to increased support for movie file types and speedier performance gains, tweaks like TrueTheater, DLNA support, and 3D conversion have made their way into the new version. TrueTheater is basically a fancier option for adjusting the sharpness and brightness during movie playback. Though this is usually a bad habit in photo editing, applying the setup to motion pictures did indeed improve the viewing experience. Given that Blu-ray files are at such high definition, adjusting image settings does little to reduce the overall image quality. The gain from this minor trade-off results in a clearer picture and is a well executed feature if you have the hardware to run it. Enabling split-screen mode lets you compare your results in real time while the movie is playing, so users don't have to adjust blindly while going back and forth.
Should you ever run out of content or feel like browsing your videos online, Cyberlink also includes the obligatory support for Facebook and YouTube. You can log in to your Facebook account or YouTube account and watch all your uploaded movies and subscribed channels. Unfortunately, this option wasn't available in Cinema mode for our review build.
PowerDVD 13 pretty much covers all the bases: it supports updated standards for 4K and higher resolution content, lossless audio a-la FLAC, and enough customizable tweaks to satisfy an image quality obsessed crowd. Combined with existing DLNA support for playback on tablet devices, it brings a lot to the table for both playback and unification of your media device ecosystem.
PowerDVD 13 is the perfect universal media player for all your entertainment needs. Play any movie, video or music file or view photos stored locally, in Youtube or Facebook or on other devices all from within the one powerful application. It also works perfectly within your home network, share media library to other DLNA devices at home, browse content from other media server or extend your media experience to PowerDVD Mobile on your iPhone, iPad and Android phone or tablet.
What's new in this version:
- BD-Live Bypass
- AVCHD 2.0 1080p/3D support
- Dedicated Movie Library
- Display file-based movies with cover art
- Customize subtitles / multiple subtitles
- View PGS subtitles in MKV movie files
- TrueTheater HD for Full HD video
User Interface/ Player feature:
- Instant start for photos, video & music
- Cinema mode file playback support
- Mini musi... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Play DVD, VCD, SVCD movies with many features, such as DTS, S/P...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Convert many PC video formats to a DVD.
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Convert various PC video formats into DVDs.
- Play video with control over your media viewing experience.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Establish a Home Entertainment Center environment on your PC.
- Turn your TV set into a multimedia center for your videos, DVDs...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Play videos, DVDs, Blu-ray, AVCHD and 3D discs from Windows PC....
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Convert videos/DVDs to and from virtually any video format, and...
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Get an audio, video and CD/DVD player that uses DirectShow tech...
- Check to see if your PC can play Blu-ray and 3D movies.
- Play a fun game with forms of microorganisms.
- Play YouTube video files from the Web or your local folders, pl...
- Organize and browse videos, view images and DVDs, and play audi...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 588 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Seems to be Con-software with PC 3D blu-ray players."
Version: CyberLink PowerDVD 13
Cyberlink `PowerDVD 10` comes with the Panasonic/Buffalo 3D Blu-Ray player for your computer; but it makes you spend hours and hours (TEN HOURS FOR ME) searching for the information as to WHY it will not play 3D Blu-Rays. Why put this crap into the deal when it doesn`t work with the Discs the drive was made to play?
Why do these scumsuckers not tell you that HIDDEN COST is going to be an extra $100 before they lure you in?
Scumsuckers would not dry this crap with home 3D Blu-ray players. Where you buy the 3D TV and then a 3D Blu-Ray player then they try and jack you for another $100.
"Great DVD Player"
Version: CyberLink PowerDVD 13
- Best-looking interface than ever
- Really really fast while launching the software
- it's cool to stream the content and link to online media.
- Remote controller and mobile version for free
Not at all! PowerDVD13 works fine for me!