CNET Editors' review
It looks simple, but this app securely stores text files in an encrypted, password-protected form.
Crypteditor is essentially a text editor, like Notepad, but with extra security features built into it. As a text editor, it offers a very simple interface: a pane to which you can add tabs for new documents. This free app performed well in our tests, prompting us for a password each time we saved and closed and opened a file. Because this is a text editor, it's more suitable for saving essential information rather than documents requiring any sort of formatting. For this reason, the developers recommend Crypteditor for saving passwords, serial numbers, and other info that should be stored securely.
Saving private identifiers with a password-protected, encrypted document makes sense. However, a problem with this concept that we see is remembering or saving the password to the encrypted file. If you lose or forget that files password, you'll lose access to the rest of your secured info.
An interesting feature of Crypteditor is that it stores the protected files within the application itself, instead of to a separate folder or directory on your hard drive. Again, if the app gets deleted, your protected files and their info are lost as well.
These two caveats are our only concerns with this app. It functioned quickly and with no glitches in our tests. If you use it on a PC to which no others have access, securing the app and its info may not be a problem. But users who share a machine may have to worry about someone else inadvertently removing the app.
Crypditor is a text editor to save data with a high-secure encryption algorithm (AES). No other software needed: application and documents are in one, because the mechanism to encrypt and decrypt the text files is part of it. Simple but secure: Write your text or import your existing textfiles (tabbed working is supported) within Crypditor and save the file. Double-click at the file and enter your password: access again. Security: your information will be encrypted using a password and most modern AES 256bit encryption technology. Innovative: implemented password-quality-check shows, how much secure your password is. Crypditor is designed to store your serial numbers, passwords, phone numbers and notes fast and simple in a safe place.
Version 1.21 build 1.153b adds Windows Vista compatibility.
What's new in this version: Version 1.21 build 1.153b adds Windows Vista compatibility.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Securely store and manage your passwords.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Encrypt and decrypt your files.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Protect your data with AES encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt or decrypt text and files with a unique key you specify...
- Encrypt or decrypt your files using IBES algorithm.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Encrypt files and programs to protect your personal data.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Create and edit simple text documents.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Create encrypted, self decrypting html documents.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Encrypt your e-mail messages and attachments.
- Edit content of rich-text documents with various features.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Create Web pages and text documents.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content