CNET Editors' review
If you're running a fairly recent edition of Windows, you're probably also using the built-in Windows Firewall. It does a good job, but there's no reason not to take advantage of much more capable (yet just as free) firewalls, especially when they're easier to use and come with significant extras. Take Comodo Firewall: This full-featured, multilayer firewall application uses cloud-based data to analyze new programs and data to prevent attacks, including zero-day attacks. It protects your system from viruses, Trojans, worms, hacker attacks, and other threats. Extras include a Geek Buddy subscription, the SecureDNS network, and a speedy, secure Web browser, Comodo Dragon.
Comodo Firewall's setup includes three network locations, with appropriate security levels for each: Home, Work, and Public. We chose Home. Comodo Firewall's operation is very much like other firewalls we've tried: the first time you use a program or access a Web site with the firewall running, you need to enable it in a pop-up that remembers your choice unless you tell it otherwise. The firewall's system tray icon accesses a menu that let us configure the Firewall and Defense & Security levels, and also its Sandbox feature and Game Mode.
Setup required a reboot, as did some settings, such as the Proactive Security Configuration. A simple, colorful interface gave us quick access to the two main components, the Firewall and Defense+ features. In daily use, Comodo Firewall is every bit as unobtrusive and easy to manage as the most popular free standalone firewalls for Windows, and just as flexible. It also includes lots of help options, such as the Geek Buddy feature and online forums and documentation.
We also like Dragon, which we updated shortly after installing it. Dragon automatically imported favorites, history, passwords, and other data we specified from our default browser (Chrome) including our bookmarks toolbar (thanks). Dragon is Chrome's cousin; it's based on the Chromium engine. Dragon is great for trying SecureDNS without altering your network settings. The SecureDNS network offers various security features, and it didn't slow down our browsing. Comodo Firewall is a top contender among free firewall applications.Comodo Firewall - Protect your online activity - Download Video Previews:
Comodo's free Firewall is your first layer of defense against viruses, worms, Trojans, hackers and all Internet threats. Comodo's Firewall uses Default Deny Protection to prevent threats from occurring, rather than just detecting them when it's already too late. Whenever an unknown piece of software is introduced to your system, Comodo Firewall cross-references it with a white-list of over 15 million trusted files and applications. If the file asking for access is on the list, Comodo Firewall can be sure it's safe for your computer to allow it to execute. If not, Comodo Firewall will alert you that a possibly malicious file is trying to enter your PC. The latest version sees a major leap forward in security and usability with the addition of cloud based scanning and behavior analysis of unrecognized files - making Comodo Firewall unbeatable at detecting zero-day attacks. Under default settings, unknown and untrusted files are automatically scanned by our cloud-based virus scanners then, while the file undergoes behavior analysis on our cloud server, it is run in a virtual environment (sandbox) on your local machine so that it cannot modify or affect data on your 'real' system. This ground-breaking method of protecting your PC means that only trusted applications are allowed to run. Malware and untrusted files get nowhere near anything important AND you get to use your computer without interruption from nagging alerts. The software also boasts a powerful packet filtering firewall that helps you securely connect to the internet while blocking hackers from making incoming connections. It's easy to use and features an attractive interface that lets even beginners change settings to their liking. Comodo Firewall comes with automatic updates and is winner of the prestigious Editor's Choice award from PCMag.com. Download it now and find out why prevention-based protection is the security technology of the future. Comodo Firewall is completely free for life.
What's new in this version: What's new in Comodo Internet Security 7.0
- Website Filtering - COMODO Firewall now inspects URLs and blocks malicious sites while allowing users to define various access rules
- Viruscope - A new dynamic behavior analysis feature that can inspect the real time behaviors of running programs and detect and reverse malicious activities
- Data Protection - New data security feature which makes important files completely invisible to programs running in the sandbox
- Mu... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Employ robust two-way firewall protection to stop hackers, spyw...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your PC from various harmful threats.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detects malware, privacy issues and registry errors.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Check the security of your Windows computer against known threa...
- Protect your computer with virus scanning, firewalls, and tune ...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Keep your PC, identity, and everything you do online safe.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Clean up your system and optimize PC performance.
- Protect your system without relying on signature databases upda...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Delivers essential protection from viruses, spyware, web threat...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 237 votes
Current version:2.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"hated it absolutely"
Version: Comodo Firewall 7.0
didn't have it long enough to say
I installed it and every program I opened, it would start popping up "allow" without ceaseing. It would go on like 20 times...literally. After the third p;ogram I just uninstalled it.
"Ok until auto update screwed up my connecti"
Version: Comodo Firewall 7.0
Used Comodo for maybe a year, it was ok, lots of options, pretty clear and easy to understand.
BUT Sunday evening when I was watching a movie, my connection dropped and the movie stopped running. Comodo had just done a so called update, which I had ok'd thinking it was something I needed. When I started investigating, it seems comodo completely revamped their whole user interface and for some reason was blocking my connection completely. Tried any number of things to fix it, none of which worked. After 2+ hours of restarting computer, modem, etc., I uninstalled comodo and reinstalled zone alarm. Presto, chango, my connection is back and working very well. WHY do they continually "update" software and ruin it? Lately it happens with every single update on any software.
Developers, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT! Function is the most important, always.
"Good, but it breaks the shutdown process"
Version: Comodo Firewall 7.0
Does everything a firewall is supposed to do.
Unfortunately, this firewall breaks the Windows shutdown process. Windows will shut down properly, but with this program, the "halt" signal is never processed, and the "Shutting down" screen gets stuck on the screen forever. I had to override this by performing a "hard" shutdown.
It's a good firewall program for those who are looking for greater security than Windows' built-in firewall provides. However, I wouldn't fully recommend this program until Comodo addresses the shutdown problem.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content