CNET Editors' review
If you're running a fairly recent edition of Windows, you're probably also using the built-in Windows Firewall. It does a good job, but there's no reason not to take advantage of much more capable (yet just as free) firewalls, especially when they're easier to use and come with significant extras. Take Comodo Firewall: This full-featured, multilayer firewall application uses cloud-based data to analyze new programs and data to prevent attacks, including zero-day attacks. It protects your system from viruses, Trojans, worms, hacker attacks, and other threats. Extras include a Geek Buddy subscription, the SecureDNS network, and a speedy, secure Web browser, Comodo Dragon.
Comodo Firewall's setup includes three network locations, with appropriate security levels for each: Home, Work, and Public. We chose Home. Comodo Firewall's operation is very much like other firewalls we've tried: the first time you use a program or access a Web site with the firewall running, you need to enable it in a pop-up that remembers your choice unless you tell it otherwise. The firewall's system tray icon accesses a menu that let us configure the Firewall and Defense & Security levels, and also its Sandbox feature and Game Mode.
Setup required a reboot, as did some settings, such as the Proactive Security Configuration. A simple, colorful interface gave us quick access to the two main components, the Firewall and Defense+ features. In daily use, Comodo Firewall is every bit as unobtrusive and easy to manage as the most popular free standalone firewalls for Windows, and just as flexible. It also includes lots of help options, such as the Geek Buddy feature and online forums and documentation.
We also like Dragon, which we updated shortly after installing it. Dragon automatically imported favorites, history, passwords, and other data we specified from our default browser (Chrome) including our bookmarks toolbar (thanks). Dragon is Chrome's cousin; it's based on the Chromium engine. Dragon is great for trying SecureDNS without altering your network settings. The SecureDNS network offers various security features, and it didn't slow down our browsing. Comodo Firewall is a top contender among free firewall applications.Comodo Firewall - Protect your online activity - Download Video Previews:
Comodo's free Firewall is your first layer of defense against viruses, worms, Trojans, hackers and all Internet threats. Comodo's Firewall uses Default Deny Protection to prevent threats from occurring, rather than just detecting them when it's already too late. Whenever an unknown piece of software is introduced to your system, Comodo Firewall cross-references it with a white-list of over 15 million trusted files and applications. If the file asking for access is on the list, Comodo Firewall can be sure it's safe for your computer to allow it to execute. If not, Comodo Firewall will alert you that a possibly malicious file is trying to enter your PC. The latest version sees a major leap forward in security and usability with the addition of cloud based scanning and behavior analysis of unrecognized files - making Comodo Firewall unbeatable at detecting zero-day attacks. Under default settings, unknown and untrusted files are automatically scanned by our cloud-based virus scanners then, while the file undergoes behavior analysis on our cloud server, it is run in a virtual environment (sandbox) on your local machine so that it cannot modify or affect data on your 'real' system. This ground-breaking method of protecting your PC means that only trusted applications are allowed to run. Malware and untrusted files get nowhere near anything important AND you get to use your computer without interruption from nagging alerts. The software also boasts a powerful packet filtering firewall that helps you securely connect to the internet while blocking hackers from making incoming connections. It's easy to use and features an attractive interface that lets even beginners change settings to their liking. Comodo Firewall comes with automatic updates and is winner of the prestigious Editor's Choice award from PCMag.com. Download it now and find out why prevention-based protection is the security technology of the future. Comodo Firewall is completely free for life.
What's new in this version: Version 6.3: While there are 200+ issues addressed, here are a selected few:
- Installer crashes during updates
- "Agree and Install" button is disabled when no options are selected during the update
- 0xc0000018 BSOD error randomly occurring during clean boot on Windows 8.1 x64
- FIXED: 'Restart Computer' window does not appear after changing CIS configuration and further upgrading Windows from 8.0 to 8.1
- FIXED: 'Hardware installation' error window appears ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Employ robust two-way firewall protection to stop hackers, spyw...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detects malware, privacy issues and registry errors.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Protect your PC from various harmful threats.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Check the security of your Windows computer against known threa...
- Protect your computer with virus scanning, firewalls, and tune ...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Keep your PC, identity, and everything you do online safe.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Monitor data transfer into and from PC and get secure online ac...
- Deny digital dangers no matter what you do, or where you go onl...
- Clean up your system and optimize PC performance.
- Protect your system without relying on signature databases upda...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 217 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"KEEPS CRASHING .. !!"
Version: Comodo Firewall 6.3.302093.2976
PREVIOUS VERSION WORKS GREAT WITH WINDOWS 7 .
KEEPS CRASHING AT START-UP AND FINALLY CRASHED MY WINDOWS 7. I HAD TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS . FACED SAME PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 8.1 .
I WILL NOT RE-INSTALL THIS ON MY PC UNTIL THESE SERIOUS BUGS WILL GET FIXED .
"PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 8.1"
Version: Comodo Firewall 6.3.302093.2976
WORKS GREAT WITH WINDOW 7
CRASHED MY COMPUTER WITH WINDOWS 8.1 HAD TO RESTORE IT BECAUSE I WASN'T ABLE TO START WINDOWS AND WITH WINDOWS 8 IT WON'T ALLOW ME TO GET ON-LINE
I WON'T REINSTALL ON MY MACHINE AGAIN AND TAKE A Chance on another crash, and i have used comodo for years
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content