CNET Editors' review
ClamXav for Mac is an open-source virus checker. Available from the App Store and many download locations, ClamXav for Mac installs quickly. The app is free, but donations through Paypal are requested.
ClamXav for Mac has a simple interface that displays a set of basic scan options and a larger window to show infected or suspect files. With updated definitions downloaded automatically, ClamXav for Mac can monitor your Mac in real-time, or you can install and run it on an existing system. To scan specific files or folders, simply drag them onto the ClamXav for Mac icon (handy for USB devices, for example). Files that are picked up as suspect can be quarantined or deleted. You can use wildcards to specify allowed files and file types.
We tested ClamXav for Mac on identical MacBook Pro devices, one with ClamXav for Mac installed and the other running a well-known (and expensive) antivirus package. Both picked up all our seeded apps with virus or Trojan signatures embedded in them, although ClamXav for Mac did flag a few normal files that the commercial app missed. By marking them as safe, we ensured that they were ignored in future scans. The only issue we noticed with ClamXav for Mac is the update frequency of the definitions files, which sometimes lagged the commercial products by a few days, but this is not a major concern. All in all, ClamXav for Mac worked well, and since it costs nothing, it should be a major consideration for those without AV protection.ClamXav - Protect your Mac with an open-source virus checker - Download Video Previews:
From Mark Allan:
Free GUI front end to the ClamAV opensource virus checker. Update the virus definitions. Point it to a file or folder and scan. Other features include logging results to a file, placing infected files into quarantine, monitoring folders for changes to their contents and a Finder Contextual Menu Item.
What's new in this version:
- ClamAV engine updated 0.98.1*
- Added ability to force engine re-installation by holding option/alt key at launch
- Added ability to download additional signatures from ClamXav.com for greater protection**
* If you have edited freshclam.conf and clamd.conf by hand, your old files are inside /tmp . PLEASE compare the files as clamd.conf is different. If you don't know what any of that means, you can probably ignore it!
** If you compile your own ClamAV, this... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Database of every Mac model and other Apple hardware.
- Removes the Boonana trojan horse.
- Protect your Mac completely.
- Avira Free Mac Security will keep your system clean and safe fr...
- Recover your stolen Mac.
- Protect your Mac from viruses and spyware.
- Strongly encrypt important data and personal info.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Clone, synchronize, back up files.
- Fight malware that threaten your security on your Mac and iPhon...
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Record keystrokes, IM chats, track visited websites, take scree...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 80 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"ClamXav scanner is awesome !"
Version: ClamXav 2.6.2
Easy to download-install , runs great & fast , it pin pints all in detail . What other "famed" Mac scanners missed in scanning files , ClamXav always have found if any malware was present ! Thankfully this time around my computer is clean . A big Thank you to the developer :)
None that I can relate to .
I strongly recommend this software to any Mac user .
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: