CNET Editors' review
Adobe's Glyph Bitmap Distribution Format (BDF) is an ASCII-based file format that stores bitmap screen fonts and presents them as text files that can be read by both humans and machines. It's used a lot in Unix, but not so much in Windows. However, as Windows applications spread their capabilities, a growing number of users need to view BDF files in Windows. That's what Chortkeh BDF Font Viewer is for. It's a free, standalone, portable tool that can process BDF font files in Windows and display them in a familiar view. It's part of the Chortkeh Font Toolbox but can be downloaded separately.
This compact tool downloads as a zipped file but requires no installation, opening as soon as you click the extracted executable file, which at less than 300KB is small enough to store and run from just about any sort of portable device or storage medium. It opens with an almost starkly plain interface, just File and Help menus above a blank display, with boxes below that for Glyph and Font information. Opening a BDF font file filled the main window with a gridded image of wide range of characters that will be more familiar to coders and other advanced users, but they're the ones most likely to need BDF Font Viewer. For them, it adds a useful capability to their toolkits, and for free, too.
Some people may need to download a free Windows extension to view BDF Font's Help file, and we had no luck accessing the developer's Web site, though we did find some material about BDF Font Viewer at developer's Komeil Bahmanpour's blog, and the program, font files and other resources are also available at Chortkeh's Microsoft Live Font Toolbox site. Anyone who actually needs BDF Font Viewer should have no trouble finding it.
Chortkeh BDF Font Viewer by Komeil Bahmanpour is a tool for viewing files in Glyph Bitmap Distribution Format (BDF) in Microsoft Windows. Chortkeh BDF Font Viewer for Windows is able to process BDF Specification 2.2 font files including Unicode glyphs up to 64x80 pixels as of version 2.0. The roots of Chortkeh BDF Font Viewer return back to 2002, when it's been started on January 8, 2002, as part of Chortkeh Font Toolbox. Chortkeh BDF Font Viewer by Komeil Bahmanpour is a stand-alone 32-bit portable executable (meaning no need to install, just run the single executable file) not dependant to any special API.
What's new in this version: * Fixed bug with default glyph selection when file is opened * Supported Unicode range * Supported dynamic display, so only defined glyphs are listed * Supported dynamic grid fitting * Optimized client size for 1024x768 screens * Optimized render algorithm * Supported glyphs with dimensions up to 64x80 pixels * Changed user interface font to Tahoma * Removed WebLink * Migrated to Borland C++Builder 6
More Products to Consider
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Create charts, graphics, diagrams, and maps easily.
- View and read PDF documents without images.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Convert Adobe Flash SWF to WMV format file.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Work with drawing, photo editing, and page design tasks of any ...
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Optimize 3D models for real-time visualization.
- Convert files without connecting your PC, mobile device, and wi...
- View the TrueType fonts installed on your system.
- Create, animate, and render 3D images on your PC.
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Erase your browser's cache, surfing histories, and cookies.
- Analyze and solve captchas on your PC.
- Recover damaged or corrupted files.
- Write PDF documents from any application.
- View, zoom, and pan SKP files.