CNET Editors' review
ChatterBlocker is an app designed to help you concentrate and be more productive in noisy environments. It doesn't somehow cancel or block out noise, but rather it's intended to "blur unwanted speech," rendering conversations unintelligible so they won't distract you.
ChatterBlocker plays a combination of voices, nature sounds, and music, in several preset options or using an advanced interface that lets you mix and match. Since the effectiveness of an application like this is so peculiar and personal, this ability to tweak is extremely useful, no matter what particular sound fetish works for you. (Need the high-pitched murmuring of women accompanied by goats wearing bells to think straight? No problem!) ChatterBlocker seems to work much better over headphones (which they caution against using too much), and the voices by themselves--what ChatterBlocker calls "walla" or "cafeteria noise"--tend to do the best job at masking speech.
ChatterBlocker takes some getting used to and it's spendy for its functionality, but if you work in a conversation-filled environment and find yourself frequently distracted, the 60-minute demo of ChatterBlocker is absolutely worth trying.
From The Sound Guy:
ChatterBlocker uses digital audio technology to mask the sound of speech and other distractions so you can stay focused.
ChatterBlocker does not use noise-cancellation. Instead, it masks unwanted conversations with a soothing blend of nature sounds, music and background chatter. The goal is to render speech less intelligible, because intelligible speech is often the most distracting sound in the workplace.
ChatterBlocker also offers mindfulness meditation tracks intended to increase concentration, reduce distractibility and minimize the stress response to office noise.
Use ChatterBlocker to tune out disruptions and increase concentration at the office, airports, cafes or anywhere.
What's new in this version: The update fixes a problem with the installer on Snow Leopard.
More Products to Consider
- Make CD labels, covers, jewel case and DVD case inserts, and so...
- GarageBand 11 turns the Mac into a complete recording studio an...
- Print labels, greeting cards, posters, calendars...
- Manage, update, personalize your TomTom GPS.
- Ebook reader & converter for Mac, iPhone & Kindle.
- Update to a more enhanced version of SoundMaker.
- BBC Model B emulator.
- Ambient sound mixer & binaural tone generator for concentration...
- Scientific 2D plotting program.
- Reduce distracting noise and grain in your digital photos.
- Read online print media content.
- Video noise screen saver.
- Amazon-enabled home inventory system for books, movies.
- Prayer times: salaat/namaz, athan (azan) & qibla direction.
- Smooth unflattering highlights and shadows or skin surfaces on ...
- Show slides and images of classic Old Tyme Valentines.
- For Sony Ericsson mobile phones.
- Convert AVI files into iPhone video format.
- Stream videos, photos and music to PS3, Xbox 360, and other sup...
- Watch a practical joke on your computer.
- A simple recipe manager with customizable ingredients lists.
- Analyze sound files in real-time with oscilloscope, spectrum, a...
- Keeps track of your events, tasks and thoughts.
- Enjoy the realistic images and sounds of ocean waves on your de...