CNET Editors' review
Carbon Copy Cloner is a simple, donation-ware utility for cloning entire drives, performing incremental backups, and scheduling ongoing backups. This app has a long track record as one of the most useful and reliable disk utilities available, and its interface and features (especially for scheduling) have only gotten better. Its also kept up with the Mac OS, adding support for HFS+ filesystem compression. Other recent updates have integrated support and documentation into the app better, speeded up recovery of files from damaged volumes, and ensured that Carbon Copy Cloner excludes the Time Machine database.
Carbon Copy Cloner makes it very easy to quickly clone a hard drive (i.e., duplicate every single file on the drive, even at the block level), or you can indicate which files and folders should be copied--and you can also direct it to only copy files that have changed since the last backup. Carbon Copy Cloner can help you schedule regular backups, too, according to any schedule you set, and it can also work with iPods and remote Macs. Carbon Copy Cloner may have a fairly narrow feature set (for example, you can't back up directly to optical disks), but it provides a lot of well-executed functionality at a low price.Carbon Copy Cloner - Clone, back up, and synchronize data on Mac OS - Download Video Previews:
From Mike Bombich:
Carbon Copy Cloner is the key to a successful backup plan. When left to a human, the task often gets tacked on to the end of a very long list of other things to do. When you eventually have a catastrophe, the data is simply gone. You know that feeling -- you just lost six years of family photos. Your kids being born, their first birthdays, their first everything. The answer to this is consistent and regular backups, placed on a schedule and handled automatically by your computer.
CCC 3 features a new interface designed to make the cloning and backup procedure more intuitive and more responsive. Users have better control over what gets backed up, and are provided with detailed information about the progress of their backup. In addition to general backup, CCC can also clone one hard drive to another, copying every single block or file to create an exact replica of your source hard drive. CCC's block-level copy offers the absolute best fidelity in the industry.
What's new in this version:
- Added support for sending notifications to Mountain Lion's Notification Center. Growl support will continue to be supported for Snow Leopard and Lion, but in Mountain Lion, CCC will only send notifications to the built-in Notification Center. We understand that Growl offers functionality beyond Apple's Notification center, but the time required to maintain support for Growl and protecting CCC from problems specific to Growl has become too much of a burden to continue its support when the... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Synchronize and back up your files/folders.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Automatic backup and synchronization utility.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Simple and fast backup software.
- Back up your important files and folders.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Easy-to-use client for online storage and backup.
- Dedicated exclusively to business & enterprise users.
- Automate scheduled backups of your files.
- Increase Time Machine browsing and restoration possibilities.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Synchronize your documents to Google docs automatically.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Clone and back up your Mac OS X system disc with full HFS suppo...
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 286 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Excellent product that does what it is supposed to do."
Version: Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.2
Pretty easy to setup, i.e. schedule; works flawlessly, no problems; shows a popup after running the backup that lets you know it completed the backup.
If you want more information on folder sizes, etc., you have to dig a bit deeper than with Super Duper, however I had no mystery popups from Apple about "run or quit scripts" that constantly blocked Super Duper from doing the backups, an apparently rare problem on a Mac, but a frustrating one, so I shut down Super Duper and rely solely on CCC.
I love Carbon Copy Cloner. It is simple to set up and it works every time.
"Not What I Expected"
Version: Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.2
It copies everything and provided a sense of security, although the backup options at first seemed a bit confusing.
I have two port the backup drive could attach to my Macbook Pro. After the first long backup of not only the Macbook drive, but an external drive, which took over a day, I felt I was ready to set it and forget it, using automatic schedules. The second backup did not wake my mac as it was supposed to, so I changed the time. The third backup got an error message that I changed the port the drive was originally plugged into gor backup, therefore it failed. There was only 1 other port I could have used so I gave it the benefit of the doubt and switched ports, even though I know I uwas using the same port. Same error, the port was not the one used fr the original backup, therefore it failed. With only two ports physically capable of plugging in my backup drive, that left me with two options. One, do a complete nearly 2 day backup of my drives, or find another program. I found a another program to supplement Time Macine.
I paid for it, but from what I read, at one time it was free. I would be writing spectacular extatic reviews that were Super Duper, which is my next try at a backup supplement. It started out simple, but then became somewhat confusing when the different types of backups were unveiled.