CNET Editors' review
With its quick performance and extensive features, Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac stands out as a top drive copy or backup program. You'll find its well-thought-out menus and controls easy to use even if you're a new Mac OS X user. Its powerful features won't disappoint you, either.
Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac installs as a free 30-day trial version. After starting, the program walks you through a tutorial presenting its main functions. It also includes a useful Help file in case you need more assistance. To get started, you have to use a drop-down box to select the folder or drive you want to back up or copy, and then select the destination for the copy. The program automatically chooses default settings for the destination, but you can easily customize these, as well. A large window on the left shows the contents of the selected folders, and you can easily remove or add items for the clone by checking or unchecking boxes. You can create the cloned folder/disk immediately, or schedule it for later, a feature good for backups. When we tested the app on a folder with several office suite documents, we were amazed by its speed as the clone completed almost instantly.
Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac lives up to its promise. It can create copies and backups of files and folders without any issues, and quickly. The interface looks good and is easy to use, and the features all work well. This is a well-built app that can help you back up your important files in no time.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of BatChmod for Mac 1.7b2.Carbon Copy Cloner - Clone, back up, and synchronize data on Mac OS - Download Video Previews:
From Mike Bombich:
Carbon Copy Cloner is the key to a successful backup plan. When left to a human, the task often gets tacked on to the end of a very long list of other things to do. When you eventually have a catastrophe, the data is simply gone. You know that feeling -- you just lost six years of family photos. Your kids being born, their first birthdays, their first everything. The answer to this is consistent and regular backups, placed on a schedule and handled automatically by your computer.
CCC 3 features a new interface designed to make the cloning and backup procedure more intuitive and more responsive. Users have better control over what gets backed up, and are provided with detailed information about the progress of their backup. In addition to general backup, CCC can also clone one hard drive to another, copying every single block or file to create an exact replica of your source hard drive. CCC's block-level copy offers the absolute best fidelity in the industry.
What's new in this version:
- Addressed an issue in which CCC would occasionally report errors such as "Could not find xattr #1" or "Missing abbreviated xattr", most commonly when archiving items in the Google Chrome application support directory.
- CCC now removes its temporary private mountpoint folders used to mount and inspect Recovery HD volumes. Leaving these "stale" mountpoints in place was occasionally exposing a bug in the Finder in which it would report an error -43, "Some items could not be found" ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- Screen capture utility.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Database of every Mac model and other Apple hardware.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Synchronize and back up your files/folders.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Catalog your removable media.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Automate scheduled backups of your files.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Simple and fast backup software.
- Burn CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs on your Mac.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 290 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Works very well. Well worth the price"
Version: Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.4
CCCloner is a great product. I recommend a disk repair software be used to defrag and clear the volume after copying.
The CNET web site is very confusing with all the Downoload Now tabs which are not related to the product you are trying to download.
CNET should remove all the Free Download now tabs as they are all spam.
Also, Cnet should recognize all keyboards, not just Standard English which is a very limited unit.