CNET Editors' review
A good screen capture tool is pretty much an essential Windows accessory, and Microsoft's built-in Snipping Tool does a pretty good job, though it's a bit basic and also awkward to use at times. Capture View from GXDevelopment is indeed a good screen capture tool that can also capture directory contents, menus, pop-ups, and even running applications whether they're shown, hidden, or minimized. It has some useful extras, such as a timer delay feature and a suite of frequently used image-editing tools like cropping, resizing, and watermarking tools and grayscale conversion. To top it off, it's free.
We installed Capture View and clicked its desktop shortcut. The program opened with a Windows-style interface with a transparent main view, showing what was behind it, and an Aero-style toolbar with a mixed suite of unique icons and drop-down file menus. We dragged the boundary of the Capture View window over our desktop background picture and clicked Capture, which triggered a camera shutter sound. We saved the image to the desktop and opened it: a perfect copy of the capture field. Next we clicked Type/Desktop Capture and clicked Capture again. The program captured our entire wide-screen desktop, not just the visible portion. Next we clicked Application Capture, chose Normal Method (you can specify methods, too) and selected our Outlook Inbox from a drop-down list of running applications. Capture View recorded an image of our entire Inbox, even though Outlook was minimized to the desktop; that's pretty cool, and something the Snipping Tool can't do. Capture View's Directory Capture setting took a snapshot of a directory without opening it, too. The transparency and color options worked well, and having basic image-editing tools instantly accessible through the toolbar saves tons of time over opening an outside photo editor or graphics tool.
Capture View is the most versatile and capable screen capture tool we've ever used. The fact that it's free makes it a no-brainer; it blows the competition off the screen.
Capture View capture desktops, virtual screens, directory contents, menus, pop-ups, custom or default regions, running applications whether shown, partially shown, completely hidden, even minimized. Capture View has a simple, easy to use, and intuitive interface. Select your capture method and click the capture button. An additional capture button is located on the system tray allowing you to take snap shots even when Capture View is not visible. Check out the timer delay. Choose from numerous image formats: PNG, BMP, JPEG, TIFF, and GIF. Capture View has several basic imaging tools: crop tool, grayscale conversion, resize tool, watermarking tool, and border tool.
What's new in this version: Version 6.2 fixes a problem with previous Trial Versions not working.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Add professional annotations to images, pictures, and screen ca...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Capture, edit, and add effects to your desktop screenshots.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture the screen and import it in any graphic program.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Capture, print, and save your entire screen or its selected are...
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Take screenshots, add notes, and apply visual effects.
- Capture your screen or separated areas on your screen.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Capture screenshots on your PC screen.
- Create and edit icon files in TrueColor icon editor.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Upload, manage, and share your images and screenshots with one ...
- Capture window, region and scrolling page with a simple way and...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 25 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Trying to force paid upgrade"
Version: Capture View 6.2
Old version was easy to use and FREE
I was perfectly happy with the older, 5.6 FREE version. Suddenly I got a notice that an update was available. Like a fool I let it download. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, suddenly it was a 3 day trial and now cost money. I uninstalled and tried to get back to the old, free version, no luck, even though I downloaded the supposed old free version, it was the NEW PAID version. Crappy, Crappy, Crappy, Crappy, Crappy,
Crappy, Crappy, Crappy, Crappy, Crappy, Crappy, Crappy,