CNET Editors' review
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test is a tool designed to test the speed of your drives. Why bother? Well, if you are accessing or storing video or other real-time demanding applications, you want a drive that can keep up with the read and write demands of those applications. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test is designed to let you know how fast your drives are and report their speed changes over time. The app is free and installs easily.
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test launches with a dialog sporting two rotary speed gauges, one for reads and the other for writes. Below those two dials, there's a checklist of features. When first run, Blackmagic Disk Speed Test writes a big block of data to the selected drive, testing the write speed, then reads it back and reports the results. When left on your machine, Blackmagic Disk Speed Test continues to perform intermittent read-write tests of the drive and report performance changes over time. Since performance changes with disk fragmentation and capacity, as well as general deterioration of drive mechanisms as they age, this can be a useful diagnostic.
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test works exactly as described and didn't cause any issues in our testing. The visual speed display and text results provide a constant report as to the health of your drives. If you work with real-time video or audio applications, knowing that your drives can keep up is critical. The only negative about this app is the way you choose the drives to test, but that will likely be improved. Nice app.
From Blackmagic Design:
Disk Speed Test is an easy to use tool to quickly measure and certify your disk performance for working with high quality video! Simply click the start button and Disk Speed Test will write test your disk using large blocks of data, and then display the result. Disk Speed Test will continue to test writes and reads from your disk so you can evaluate both performance and readability over time.
What's new in this version: Some SSD's use hidden compression when writing data to make their benchmarked speeds appear faster. Disk Speed Test will now measure the true speed of these SSD's so you know if they are suitable for high quality uncompressed video capture.
More Products to Consider
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Clean and speed up your Mac removing unnecessary files and appl...
- Remove the disks in your Dock.
- Display the read/write speed of your disk.
- Xiso extracting and uploading tool.
- Clock where the faces move & the hand stands still.
- Speed Up (Defrag), Clean Up and Optimize Your Mac.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Organize CDs and DVDs and find any file on them instantly.