CNET Editors' review
These days, security seems hard to come by. With spyware, hackers, and others all trying to look over your shoulder, sometimes you need a little peace of mind. Personal encryption software is a good step toward protecting your data, and Best Folder Encryption just might fit the bill.
The interface is simplistic and not terribly attractive, but it does have a set of skins to choose from. The fact that you cannot resize the main window is needlessly annoying, though. There are several functions common to this type of app, and they seem to work well. And we like the Explorer context menu integration, although the Decrypt option was present even on folders that weren't encrypted. The Security and Optimization settings were also interesting, offering the opportunity to prohibit certain system functions (like Task Manager) from running, as well as offering the chance to set some built-in, but typically hidden, system settings. Portable-mode encryption created standalone self-decrypting files that worked well.
The program was stable and responsive with our test data set. Some features were limited in this trial, and after 30 encryptions the encrypt feature supposedly stops working (but decrypt still should). Install required a restart, and uninstall left the install directory behind. Despite not knowing exactly what encryption algorithms it uses, if you're looking for something to protect your data, this program should do just fine.
DoGoodSoft Best Folder Encryptor is a professional and mature file and folder encryption package. It encrypts files and folder with super fast, strong and faultless algorithms. You can choose from five encryption methods when encrypting a folder. Flash Encryption instantly encrypts a folder on a local or removable drive without size limit. The result is delete-proof, copy-proof and move-proof and remains valid even in MS-DOS mode and safe mode. Hiding Encryption instantly encrypts a folder as fast but also hides it at the same time. Full Encryption encrypts all files in a folder in a time with internationally mature algorithm. Each encrypted file in this folder can be opened or decrypted separately later. Diamond Encryption packs and encrypts a folder into an encrypted file with very strong encryption algorithm. Portable Encryption packs and encrypts a folder into an executable (.exe file), which can be taken anywhere and decrypted by itself independently. Dialog Encryption and Portable Encrypted are supported when encrypting a standalone file. The product has a central management window and also supports direct encryption/decryption within the Windows Explorer via context menu commands. As a user-friendly and mature product, it has easy to use and understand interfaces, detailed help/instructions, built-in search and various trouble recovery mechanisms (some advanced features are open only to full version users). It also supports many very interesting auxiliary features. It can protect drives on your computer in three levels. With Advanced Protection, for example, the drive is completed hidden and cannot be found in any environment except with Best Folder Encryptor. Other enhancements include data shredding (file/folder shredding and deletion), data lock, folder disguise, system garbage cleanup, system security and optimization settings, disabling USB devices, read-only use of USB drives and removable drives, etc.
What's new in this version: Version 16.50 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Encrypt and decrypt files and folders with different techniques...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Lock, hide, encrypt, and password-protect personal files, folde...
- Hide or restrict access to your files and folders.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Call, video call, and chat for free.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Create virtual CD/DVD-ROMs and burn backup copies of your favor...
- Create checksum files for testing file integrity.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download your favorite videos from the Web and play them.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Very good program, unlike Axcrypt it's always right."
Version: Best Folder Encryptor 16.50
Great for encrypting files and folders.
Absolutely no customer support - I think that they're going out of business. Their home page reefers you elsewhere. "This is a family-owned business"