CNET Editors' review
BatChmod for Mac lets you change file permissions more quickly without using the Terminal, by checking or unchecking boxes corresponding to different levels of permissions. It's a practical app but its interface offers room for improvement.
Despite its rather dull interface, BatChmod for Mac lets you import files with ease. To get started you need to click the "File" button that brings up a Finder window for selecting the file whose permissions you want to modify. Once the file is selected, drop-down boxes automatically display the owner and group, and you can check or uncheck boxes for each of the permissions. For those unfamiliar with the types, the short labels of R, W, and X will likely be a mystery; more information should have been provided, i.e. R = read, W = write, and X = execute. Additional check boxes are also available to modify other properties, but they are also poorly labeled and even less clear.
If you want a quick way to change a file's permissions without using the Terminal, BatChmod for Mac can help you. However, if you never used Unix nor Linux and are not familiar with the chmod command you'll have to spend some time figuring out what those unnamed shortcuts mean. While this isn't a bad app by all means, it's not the most intuitive one, either -- unless you are an advanced user and know exactly what you're doing.
BatChmod is a Cocoa utility for manipulating file and folder privileges in Mac OS X (10.5 recommended). It allows the manipulation of ownership as well as the privileges associated to the Owner, Group or others. Here are some of the characteristics of BatChmod:
- It's simple and elegant
- It allows one to change any specific privilege or ownership without affecting the others (ie, changing the group without affecting the owner, or adding or removing a specific privilege without affecting all the others)
- It can recursively affect enclosed folders
- It's basically a mix of the Unix commands chown, chgrp and chmod...
- it can Force Empty the Trash
What's new in this version: See http://www.lagentesoft.com/express/index.html.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Extract individual files out of installer packages.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Screen capture utility.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Compare folders, with complete control over their synchronizati...
- Extend RAW file compatibility for Aperture 3 & iPhoto 11.
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- App switcher/launcher with skins.
- (Mountain Lion Edition) general purpose system modify/repair ut...
- Fix line endings and other problems in text files.
- CM to open a folder inside a folder.
- Helps troubleshoot cases where certain files cannot be deleted,...
- Automate find & replace tasks for file names & text file conten...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: