CNET Editors' review
BatChmod for Mac lets you change file permissions more quickly without using the Terminal, by checking or unchecking boxes corresponding to different levels of permissions. It's a practical app but its interface offers room for improvement.
Despite its rather dull interface, BatChmod for Mac lets you import files with ease. To get started you need to click the "File" button that brings up a Finder window for selecting the file whose permissions you want to modify. Once the file is selected, drop-down boxes automatically display the owner and group, and you can check or uncheck boxes for each of the permissions. For those unfamiliar with the types, the short labels of R, W, and X will likely be a mystery; more information should have been provided, i.e. R = read, W = write, and X = execute. Additional check boxes are also available to modify other properties, but they are also poorly labeled and even less clear.
If you want a quick way to change a file's permissions without using the Terminal, BatChmod for Mac can help you. However, if you never used Unix nor Linux and are not familiar with the chmod command you'll have to spend some time figuring out what those unnamed shortcuts mean. While this isn't a bad app by all means, it's not the most intuitive one, either -- unless you are an advanced user and know exactly what you're doing.
BatChmod is a Cocoa utility for manipulating file and folder privileges in Mac OS X (10.5 recommended). It allows the manipulation of ownership as well as the privileges associated to the Owner, Group or others. Here are some of the characteristics of BatChmod:
- It's simple and elegant
- It allows one to change any specific privilege or ownership without affecting the others (ie, changing the group without affecting the owner, or adding or removing a specific privilege without affecting all the others)
- It can recursively affect enclosed folders
- It's basically a mix of the Unix commands chown, chgrp and chmod...
- it can Force Empty the Trash
What's new in this version: See http://www.lagentesoft.com/express/index.html.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Extract individual files out of installer packages.
- Screen capture utility.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Maintain, repair, and recover system disk/drive data.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Finds files, folders & contents without indexing.
- App switcher/launcher with skins.
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Clone, synchronize, back up files.
- Data recovery software.
- CM to open a folder inside a folder.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: