CNET Editors' review
Avast Pro Antivirus 2014 builds on Avast's proven antivirus technology with privacy-enhancing anti-phishing, do-not-track, and browser-cleaning features -- and its new, proactive Software Updater keeps everything current. Avast Pro's Sandbox and Safe Zone features protect you from malware and other bad downloads, and its Cloud Scanning algorithm and crowd-sourced early-warning features detect and destroy even zero-day threats. Avast Pro is free to try, but its license is almost $40. That's not too much for Avast Pro's extra features and technical support, especially compared to an infected PC.
Avast Pro did most of the setup work, itself, including updating its virus definitions and scanning our PC. Avast Pro's job is to keep our PC safe and clean by blocking every potential threat, not just computer viruses. The main interface has two tools suited to the task: Quick Scan and Browser Cleanup. The Browser Cleanup tool claimed a conflict with another app but did not name the app. It only recommend its own option to remove the app! Without more information, we had to decline the offer. (The Browser Cleanup tool can also reset your browser to its default settings, so be careful!) Avast Pro's Tools menu includes a Rescue Disk tool for creating bootable media and the SecureLine VPN tool for secure and anonymous Internet access, even on public Wi-Fi. AccessAnywhere enables remote control of your PC from another computer (by you, with a password). Mousing over Avast Pro's system tray icon produced the reassuring message: "Everything is good."
Avast has been around for 25 years, which is ages of cyber-time, and we're among the millions who have relied on it for antivirus protection. We think Avast Pro's extra features are worth the sticker price, but why take our word? Try it free for 30 days. Avast is betting you'll like Avast Pro Antivirus 2014's extras enough to pay up, and not without reason.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Avast Pro Antivirus 2014
From AVAST Software:
Avast Pro Antivirus 2014 adds anti-phishing for all major browsers and greater privacy from an advanced Do Not Track feature. Our crowdsourced early warning system combines with a new Cloud Scanning algorithm to detect even zero-day threats. And proactive Software Updater and Browser Cleanup tools help you maintain PC performance.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed connection issues from Java applets
- Fixed issues with Security Center registration
- Fixed problems with non english languages in RescueDisk
- GUI fixes
- Firewall fixes
- Fixed issues with WinDVD and SQL connectors
- Fixed issue with non-refreshing Metro apps in Win 8.1
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Guard your privacy and protect your computer with comprehensive...
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Stop viruses and spyware automatically before they reach your c...
- Add an Internet service to your Exchange 2000.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Ride real roller coasters, or design them yourself.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Record, edit, mix, and publish audio to the Web.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 902 votes
Current version:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"No Manual & No Help. Poor."
Version: Avast Pro Antivirus 2014 2014.9.0.2007
Regular up-dates and good protection.
No User Manual for the 2014 avast pro antivirus. Last one on-line was for ver. 8.0 Revised procedure to get support is awful. you jump thru hoops to state your problem. No way offered to let you upload screen shots of your problem. About 1/2 the time the reply you get when you describe a problem in detail is a boilerplate "one size fits all" response. No way to exclude certain files from the scan. What they tell you doesn't work and there is no manual.
I wish they had not up-dated to the 2014 version. The previous one was a lot easier to use.
"bad install ,good program before going to ver 2014"
Version: Avast Pro Antivirus 2014 2014.9.0.2007
excellent program before upgrade to 2014 version
hosed my IE 10, had to reset, hosed ZA fire wall, had to uninstall both Avast and ZA firewall, reset IE10, and then install ZA Firewall with AV Scanner as well to get working again.
Avast doesn,t play well with other programs. Lost my future support.