CNET Editors' review
Ashampoo Snap lets users take screenshots of Web pages, specific selections, or even entire desktops using its simple capture bar. Once captures are created, you can make changes such as adding elements, resizing, or rotating through an image editor. Snap 6 also allows for video and audio recording (via microphone), making production of video screencasts a cinch. Time-lapse video and interval snapshot features are other useful tools in creating video tutorials.
The latest edition of Ashampoo Snap, version 6, has added a multitude of features that have flesh out the screenshot program, but there are still some unaddressed issues from the last version--the overabundant pop-ups are still too much. Meant to "guide" new users, they end up feeling like a forced tutorial, especially if you already know what you are doing. For first-time users, the huge sets of instruction will no doubt be overwhelming.
There are also several positive changes: the capture bar can now be placed at a less obtrusive Top-Right position of the screen to prevent accidental captures; the new Color Picker feature is a welcome addition for image editors--you can now select color on your screenshot or anywhere on you desktop for editing or export to use on other editors like Adobe Photoshop; and MultiShot lets you take multiple screen caps in a row before editing--a great feature if you need to take shots of different windows.
The addition of instant uploading onto YouTube/Facebook and email is a boon to users working heavily with social media. Screenshots and videos can be directly uploaded to said sharing sites with a button click. However, be warned that there is no confirmation after the Share button is clicked, and the Save-to-File icon is right next to the Facebook/Youtube icon. One click that misses by a few inches could result in possibly embarrassing oversharing.
Ashampoo Snap 6 is available as 10-day trial and can be bumped to 40 days if you request a promotional code. The full version sells for $19.99. We recommend it to any users with who want to create and customize images and videos from their desktop.
Information is valuable yet often volatile. Store precious screen data permanently with Ashampoo Snap 6. Create screenshots and screencasts and add notes, comments, highlights and hints to increase your information depth. Done? - Publish the results right from within Ashampoo Snap 6 and share your information with friends and colleagues. Ashampoo Snap 6 goes beyond the functional scope of common screenshot tools and provides everything you need to capture, edits and publish your work, no additional tools required. Both beginners and experts will feel right at home with Ashampoo Snap 6's highly readable and intuitive user-interface. All features are self-explanatory and the many visual cues make also more advanced multi-step processes a breeze.
Highlights: Support for multi-core processors for highest performance; No keyboard acrobatics required thanks to 1-click features; No fiddling with nested input dialogs; Real-time modifications with live preview; Revise your work through readjustable document settings; Multiple capture modes: Fixed area, free area, timer-based and more; Integrated image editor: Draw, highlight, apply artistic effects; Multi-format export: File, Clipboard, Printer, email, Facebook, Ashampoo Webspace; Desktop capture bar for quick and easy access to essential features; Load and save PDF documents.
What's new in this version: Version 6.0.4:
- improved video capturing
- improved Performance
- fixes several minor bugs
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Capture or record your computer screen, audio, or Webcam video.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Take snapshots of all elements of the screen, including 3D game...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Capture screen images, scrolling areas, screen action, video, a...
- Organize, optimize, and share your photo collection with ease.
- Enhance your digital pictures improving color, contrast, and br...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Capture a desktop image or entire screen in just one click.
- Optimize and beautify all your photos in the same folder, with ...
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Capture screenshots of different size.
- Take snapshots directly from your movie.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Capture real-time video, sound, and image from video devices.
- Present your digital photos as a brilliant slide show in high q...
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 218 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Grab That Video!"
Version: Ashampoo Snap 6.0.4
Performs as advertised for capturing Video with Sound.
Configuration is set for No Audio by default. Not a major deal to figure out the interface then check the Capture Sound box.
I needed to record a Webinar- Google suggested Camtasia and Replay products, but I really didn't want to spend $40.00 or more for the software.
I own other Ashampoo software and have been happy with their stuff, and I vaguely remembered that they had a capture product from a promotional e-mail they sent me a while back.
I went to their site and read about Snap 6 which sounded like it would do the job for me. Nice price too: $19.99
For kicks I Googled "Snap 6 coupon" and found a RegNow/DigitalRiver link and bought it for $10.39USD. Such a deal!
SUMMARY: Snap 6 is a very useful & functional capture program. My need was to record a Webinar. I was able to define the portion of my screen I wanted to capture and the software worked perfectly.
Kudos to Ashampoo for making some very cool software available at a very affordable price! Like anyone else I would have loved to get it for free, but on the other hand the price I paid was extremely reasonable and will hopefully encourage and enable them to develop new offerings.
CONFIGURATION NOTE: I'm running Vista Home Premium on a webcam-equipped laptop. After I got Snap 6 to capture the audio as well as the video I discovered the microphone was also being recorded. Had to go to Control Panel to kill the volume on the mic and all is well.
"Incredibly useful screen snapshot utility"
Version: Ashampoo Snap 6.0.4
Full-featured, works well and gets the job done
Confusing at first. It's not particularly intuitive
All in all it's a very useful utility but lack of intuitiveness makes it difficult for 1st time users.