CNET Editors' review
Ashampoo Snap lets users take screenshots of Web pages, specific selections, or even entire desktops using its simple capture bar. Once captures are created, you can make changes such as adding elements, resizing, or rotating through an image editor. Snap 6 also allows for video and audio recording (via microphone), making production of video screencasts a cinch. Time-lapse video and interval snapshot features are other useful tools in creating video tutorials.
The latest edition of Ashampoo Snap, version 6, has added a multitude of features that have flesh out the screenshot program, but there are still some unaddressed issues from the last version--the overabundant pop-ups are still too much. Meant to "guide" new users, they end up feeling like a forced tutorial, especially if you already know what you are doing. For first-time users, the huge sets of instruction will no doubt be overwhelming.
There are also several positive changes: the capture bar can now be placed at a less obtrusive Top-Right position of the screen to prevent accidental captures; the new Color Picker feature is a welcome addition for image editors--you can now select color on your screenshot or anywhere on you desktop for editing or export to use on other editors like Adobe Photoshop; and MultiShot lets you take multiple screen caps in a row before editing--a great feature if you need to take shots of different windows.
The addition of instant uploading onto YouTube/Facebook and email is a boon to users working heavily with social media. Screenshots and videos can be directly uploaded to said sharing sites with a button click. However, be warned that there is no confirmation after the Share button is clicked, and the Save-to-File icon is right next to the Facebook/Youtube icon. One click that misses by a few inches could result in possibly embarrassing oversharing.
Ashampoo Snap 6 is available as 10-day trial and can be bumped to 40 days if you request a promotional code. The full version sells for $19.99. We recommend it to any users with who want to create and customize images and videos from their desktop.
Information is valuable yet often volatile. Store precious screen data permanently with Ashampoo Snap 6. Create screenshots and screencasts and add notes, comments, highlights and hints to increase your information depth. Done? - Publish the results right from within Ashampoo Snap 6 and share your information with friends and colleagues.
Ashampoo Snap 6 goes beyond the functional scope of common screenshot tools and provides everything you need to capture, edits and publish your work, no additional tools required.
Both beginners and experts will feel right at home with Ashampoo Snap 6's highly readable and intuitive user-interface. All features are self-explanatory and the many visual cues make also more advanced multi-step processes a breeze.Highlights:
- Support for multi-core processors for highest performance
- No keyboard acrobatics required thanks to 1-click features
- No fiddling with nested input dialogs
- Real-time modifications with live preview
- Revise your work through readjustable document settings
- Multiple capture modes: Fixed area, free area, timer-based and more
- Integrated image editor: Draw, highlight, apply artistic effects
- Multi-format export: File, Clipboard, Printer, email, Facebook, Ashampoo Webspace
- Desktop capture bar for quick and easy access to essential features
- Load and save PDF documents.
What's new in this version: Version 6.0.10:
- improved Edit Mode
- fixed minor issues
More Products to Consider
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Organize, optimize, and share your photo collection with ease.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Save time and have your PC cleaned, optimized, and protected fo...
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Plan, design and decorate your dream house.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Enhance your digital pictures improving color, contrast, and br...
- Record desktop screen and save it as a video file.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Optimize and beautify all your photos in the same folder, with ...
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 221 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Ashampoo Snap 6.0.10
Rapid precise capture of selected regions or whole web pages, including scrolling web pages. Captures can be saved, copied, emailed, printed or uploaded to the web. Ability to capture video- I have not tried this.
None that I am aware of.
A frequently used and very useful utility.
"This might be garbage"
Version: Ashampoo Snap 6.0.10
It captured video.
Will not let me edit the video as advertised.
When I contacted Ashampoo support about this issue here was the reply :
you are not able to edit the videos captured with Snap.
Thank you for your understanding.
Kundendienst | Support"
After careful evaluation of the screen capture software options out there, I chose to purchase Ashampoo Snap 6. This product is advertised on the Ashampoo website as being "the only software you will ever need"; Capture,Edit,Publish. I can capture and I can publish, but I can't edit. The menu bar which is supposed to be at the left side of my screen, won't appear. When I contacted Ashampoo about this issue their reply stated that "you are not able to edit video captures with snap" Huh? is this just an ill informed "support" person? Or did I get duped? I have sent additional inquiries to Ashampoo about this issue and will update accordingly if we can get the software to work properly.Shortly after writing this review I received a 2nd email from Ashampoo "support". Here is the reply:
Updated on Nov 13, 2013
we are sorry for the misunderstanding. The sentence "capture, edit and publish screenshots and videos" should have been removed due to its misleading. As you can see in the US-translation of our site it has been removed. Here you will find the sentence "The only software you will ever need".
We have sent your feedback to our developers to change this.
We may offer you a refund for your purchase if you want to. Please tell us your reference number so we can adivse it.
The link posted in the response takes me back to the place where I bought this software initially. It clearly states in multiple places that the software allows users to edit.Also, the help file clearly shows screen shots of and speaks to edit functionality. Needless to say, I am going to accept the refund that was offered.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content