CNET Editors' review
Apple's iBooks Author is a free tool that lets users create stunning e-books from scratch in no time.
iWork suite users will feel at home, as at first glance iBooks Author looks like a combination of Pages and Keynote. You can't change the page format, however, as it is designed specifically for the iPad.
The application's user interface is uncluttered and very nicely designed, with all the tools available at a glance. At first launch, you'll need to choose a template from the six default options, but you can also create your own. Since iBooks Author is a native Apple app, users finally have a publishing tool that supports Pages document import in addition to Microsoft Word.
As soon as you have imported the document, the fun begins. Formatting the document is very easy, as is adding media files. When you have added the content to iBooks Author, the app takes care of the rest, so you need only work on polishing it. You can preview your work, too: just connect an iPad to a Mac and click Preview, and the masterpiece will appear on there so you can check each part of it.
There are several export options available: PDF, text file, or the native iBooks format. If you choose iBooks, you can even make money by respecting the program's license agreement.
While we loved using the tool, as it is stable and gives stunning results, we found its restrictions for the H.264 video format annoying, as we couldn't put video shot on the iPhone into the document until we had converted it with Compressor. Overall, it is a great app and highly recommended for all authors who want to produce a great e-book in no time.
Create and publish amazing Multi-Touch books for iPad.
Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPad. All you need is an idea and a Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iPad at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBookstore with a few simple steps. And before you know it, you're a published author.
What's new in this version:
- Preview books in iBooks for Mac
- Addresses an issue that removed enhanced caption tracks from some movies
- Includes various bug fixes and performance improvements
More Products to Consider
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- Clear duplicate contacts out of Address Book.
- Easy and free Personal todo list and shared task list for your ...
- OneNote-style note taking and clipping app.
- All-in-1 tool for tracking and analyzing your investments and t...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- A goofy idea organizer and information manager.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Word processor & page layout app.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Calculate expressions.
- Store, manage, organize paper & online receipts & documents.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Manage and keep track of your personal finances.
- Intelligently detect Internet addresses in files to take action...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content