CNET Editors' review
Sometimes the best interface is no interface at all. Compared to other Mac uninstall programs, AppTrap is simplicity itself--and it really does seem to provide the uninstall functionality that Apple "forgot" in OS X.
AppTrap is not actually an app but rather a System Preference pane, which you install and then it runs in the background (and you can set AppTrap to automatically start at login). Whenever you drag an application to the Trash, AppTrap will prompt you to delete all the application's related files, including any files installed in that application's cache, library, or application support folders.
As with all uninstallers, your mileage may vary and AppTrap may occasionally miss some files--but for a well-designed piece of freeware with a seamless "interface," AppTrap does an excellent job.
From Markus Amalthea Magnuson:
Moving an application to the trash is simple and easy. Shouldn't true uninstallation on the Mac be the same way? With AppTrap, when you move an application to the trash, you're automatically asked if you want to move the associated preference files as well. Now that's uninstallation, the Mac way.
What's new in this version:
- IMPORTANT: This version of AppTrap no longer supports Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. AppTrap now requires Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or, when it is released, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
- Updated French localization. Thanks Ronald Leroux and Yann Ricquebourg!
- Lion ready.
- Fixed a bug in the Portuguese translation that caused the ReadMe in the About tab to always show 1.1.5 as the version number.
More Products to Consider
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Remove apps and related files via drag-and-drop.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Clean up the clutter on your hard disk.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Drag-and-drop app uninstaller that also lets you select from a ...
- Data recovery software.
- Uninstall apps easily.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Uninstall programs using the Levenshtein Distance algorithm to ...
- Customize and switch between saved Docks.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 26 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Best Apps Are Invisible"
Version: AppTrap 1.1.7
The best apps are invisible and unobstructive until you need to use it. Just drag to your trash can as you'd normally do and it simply prompts you if you want to delete all related files too. Delight to use.
None that I can think of.
Invisible Until Required = Good