CNET Editors' review
Sometimes the best interface is no interface at all. Compared to other Mac uninstall programs, AppTrap is simplicity itself--and it really does seem to provide the uninstall functionality that Apple "forgot" in OS X.
AppTrap is not actually an app but rather a System Preference pane, which you install and then it runs in the background (and you can set AppTrap to automatically start at login). Whenever you drag an application to the Trash, AppTrap will prompt you to delete all the application's related files, including any files installed in that application's cache, library, or application support folders.
As with all uninstallers, your mileage may vary and AppTrap may occasionally miss some files--but for a well-designed piece of freeware with a seamless "interface," AppTrap does an excellent job.
From Markus Amalthea Magnuson:
Moving an application to the trash is simple and easy. Shouldn't true uninstallation on the Mac be the same way? With AppTrap, when you move an application to the trash, you're automatically asked if you want to move the associated preference files as well. Now that's uninstallation, the Mac way.
What's new in this version:
- IMPORTANT: This version of AppTrap no longer supports Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. AppTrap now requires Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or, when it is released, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
- Updated French localization. Thanks Ronald Leroux and Yann Ricquebourg!
- Lion ready.
- Fixed a bug in the Portuguese translation that caused the ReadMe in the About tab to always show 1.1.5 as the version number.
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Search for, uninstall applications and more.
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Uninstall utility that uses the Levenshtein Distance algorithm ...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Remove apps and related files via drag-and-drop.
- Remove the files that remain after uninstallation of applicatio...
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Manage .DS_Store files, resource forks, trash, etc.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Set default applications for specific file extensions.
- Delete apps and their associated files.
- Online backup using Amazon S3.
- Don't waste time switching apps; switch directly between window...
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Versatile file search tool based upon Apple's powerful Spotligh...
- Improves & extends features in contextual menus.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Make simple changes to a single object, and then repeat those c...
- Pasteboard buffer with filters, syncing, sharing.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 26 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Best Apps Are Invisible"
Version: AppTrap 1.1.7
The best apps are invisible and unobstructive until you need to use it. Just drag to your trash can as you'd normally do and it simply prompts you if you want to delete all related files too. Delight to use.
None that I can think of.
Invisible Until Required = Good