CNET Editors' review
Ancestral Quest is genealogical research freeware that can search over 1 billion entries freely at FamilySearch as well as 500 million names, though that feature requires a free log-in ID. You can also upgrade to the paid version for access to more search options. However, the free tool offers a lot.
Ancestral Quest's installer let us opt for free or paid searches, something that happened frequently while using the freeware version, though that's why it's free. The setup also gave us the option to search Ancestry.com (though a subscription may be required) and make other choices. AQ's interface, charts, diagrams, and data fields all use nice, large fonts by default, which makes the data easy to see, but the look and behavior are just a few of the many options we could change. To start using the program, we could choose to create a new database, import an existing AQ database, import GEDCOM data, set up collaborations, and much more. AQ lets users open multiple database instances. We started a new family database, which involves entering a name in the family tree template on the Pedigree tab. This called up an extensive wizard for entering and saving biographical data like birth and death dates. The program suggests adding yourself as the first person (skip the death date for now) though you can use an ancestor. Our saved data appeared in the Family tab, where we could add Spouse, Children, Mother, Father, Other Relatives, and more. The Names List tab resembles a spreadsheet. The Individual tab is inactive in the freeware; it requires an upgrade to the premium product to access the data. The free search options are extensive, though. We could access the Search Center as well as perform Individual, Relationship, and Marriage searches on the Search menu. The Tools menu includes a Research Manager, Relationship Examiner, Calculators, and more. The help menu is one of the most extensive we've seen, which is just as well because there's a lot to this free application.
Despite the freeware's limitations and the need to access online accounts to search some databases, Ancestral Quest offers an excellent introduction to Internet-based genealogical research, and a great way to learn how to use the tools and resources efficiently, if you do decide to take your research to the next level.
From Incline Software:
Ancestral Quest Basics family tree software is free, easy-to-use and versatile genealogy software for Windows. Its format is convenient for the beginner and yet powerful enough for the advanced genealogist. Features are: easy data entry, keyboard shortcuts, scrapbooking, professional printouts, and good sourcing capabilities Includes direct links to the massive genealogy records available on Ancestry.com. The installed program contains Ancestral Quest Basics with no registration and Ancestral Quest which requires registration code.
What's new in this version: Version 12.10.30 include minor bug fixes and enhancements:
- You can now swap the order of entering given/surnames.
- There are new parameters for including the First Name only and the Married Name for Internet searches.
More Products to Consider
- Manage and track your genealogy information.
- Track, organize, print, and share your family history.
- Create an illustrated genealogy book from GEDCOM files, jpeg im...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Build a genealogy tree using scanned photos.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Create and publish your family tree.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Research your family history and create charts, reports, Web si...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Build graphs from manually input values or draw a graph based o...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Capture every bit of information about the history of your fami...
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Like many other limited trial software it is useless"
Version: Ancestral Quest 12.10.33
Useless unless you buy the whole completed, full package.
Really useless in its free form.
Version: Ancestral Quest 12.10.33
NONE, I FOUND NOTHING GOOD.
WAS NOT HAPPY...UNINSTALLED AFTER 30 MINUTES!!!
I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH IT...SAVE YOUR TIME ON THIS ONE. SORRY I CANT SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT THIS!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: