CNET Editors' review
If you want to have all your photos easily accessible and synced across all your devices, Adobe Revel is one of the available options. However, while Apple's Photo Stream and iCloud do the same thing for free, you pay a monthly subscription for Revel for its image editing and social-sharing options.
The main role of Revel on your Mac computer, iPhone, or iPad is to keep all your photos organized. We question the need for this, as the native iPhoto already covers this task. Fortunately, the application comes with some enhancements such as basic editing tools and sharing features; you can invite up to 50 trusted persons to join your Revel stream, and they can also upload, download, and even edit your photos.
When you launch Revel on your Mac computer, the first thing you'll notice is that Adobe made the photo editing and browsing experience similar across all platforms, which has its cost. Revel is clearly meant for beginners; it comes with nondestructive preset filters and some basic image-editing functions, and although these features work just fine on a touch-based device, they feel a bit limited on a computer, especially for advanced users.
Overall, we liked the Revel user interface, as it is very intuitive. Each of the limited set of tools is placed in visible spot, so no digging is required. What we liked best was the app's speed; after you select the photos you'd like to have in your Revel library, the sync is almost real-time between devices, making it very similar to Apple's Photo Stream.
Considering Revel's speed, editing tools, and sharing options, Adobe has created a good app that people will enjoy using during the 30-day trial period. Beyond that, the app's required subscription for access reduces its appeal.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Adobe Revel 1.5.
From Adobe Systems:
Adobe Revel requires a subscription ($5.99/month). Get the app and try Revel for free for 30-days. Revel is a photo app for your Mac, iPad, and iPhone where your photos act just like your email. Put photos into Revel and you can access them anywhere you have Revel installed. Best of all, everything you do in Revel is automatically and effortlessly sync'd across your Mac, iPad, and iPhone. So no matter where you are, you have all your memories with you and everything you need to keep them organized and make them look great.
What's new in this version:
- Photo albums
- Share private web albums on AdobeRevel.com
- New photo Looks
- Add captions to your photos
- View all your photos in a grid (just like the Photos app)
- Use your Facebook ID to sign-up for a Revel account
- Updated UI
More Products to Consider
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Browse, view, tag and share images and galleries.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- Sync iPhoto libraries across computers (was iPhotoSync).
- View comic and manga images.
- Freeware tool that converts photo to pencil sketch.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures locally or online.
- Share unlimited photos in an instant and invite others to colla...
- Professional-grade raw converter and image editor.
- Enhance, manage, and print digital photos.
- Create logos that look like a Photoshop guru spent hours labori...
- Scientific, pixel-by-pixel image processing & analysis.
- Snagit gives you all the tools needed to create engaging images...
- Detects duplicates, thumbnails, thumbnails of faces, missing ph...