CNET Editors' review
Online advertising is one of the best examples of "can't live with it; can't live without it" we can think of: it's annoying, at times extremely so, yet it pays the bills and even occasionally informs, entertains, and assists consumers. Most of the time you wish you could just block it out, though, especially the worst offenders, the flashing, animated Web ads designed to stooge-slap your attention span. AdFender is a free, standalone ad-blocking tool that not only works with all major browsers but also some less common ones, too, such as Opera, Safari, Maxthon, Lunascape, Avant, K-Meleon, and Epic. It can also block ads in P2P and IM apps. It's frequently updated to keep up with the latest adware and browsers.
AdFender's documentation notes that you'll have to allow access through your firewall or security software for its filtering to work. Most of the time, AdFender runs in the background and resides in the system tray, where we could disable or exit the program, open the Main Console, enable debugging, and access other functions. The Main Console is a compact dialog displaying statistics for the Current Session and Lifetime. The left-hand menu let us add or remove allowed Web sites, select apps for filtering, and manage your IE cookies, history, and log files. We could also set AdFender to play a sound when it blocks something, though that can be more annoying than the ads themselves. Under Settings, AdFender had added several Microsoft sites by default, including update, download, and Office sites. There's a good Help file, too.
It's extremely easy to see what AdFender does for yourself: Simply browse to an ad-saturated site, activate AdFender, and reload the page. We did this on numerous pages that see millions of hits every day, including some big news, entertainment, and social networking sites. AdFender didn't block every ad, though nearly everything it allowed was actually a site promotion or was otherwise hosted or linked to the main site and content, so it's debatable if it's even advertising. But AdFender replaced a lot of annoying, flashing, bleepedy-bleeping ads with plain gray bars labeled Advertising. Toggling the tool off and reloading the page restored the ad content. AdFender worked well without being a problem itself.
AdFender is a free and effective ad blocking solution. It removes clutter from web pages such as expanding banner ads, flash ads and blocks other intrusive in-your face advertisements. AdFender runs unobtrusively in the background and help you surf faster saving valuable bandwidth. It works with all leading web browsers, instant messengers and P2P apps. AdFender is easy to use and requires no user configuration. It helps remove profiling or tracking cookies that compromise your online privacy. AdFender uses minimal system resources and is frequently updated.
What's new in this version: Version 1.80:
- Added support for Internet Explorer 11
- Added new filter lists('ChinaList', 'Liste AR', 'EasyList Czech and Slovak' and 'TheNewIsraelList')
- Improved filter engine
- Optimized analysing filter rules
- Improved mime type detection
- Fixed issue with hook module crashing the browser
- Fixed issue with releasing 64 bit hook module
- Fixed issue with high CPU usage while downloading content
- Added Websocket support ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Block ads, malware, spyware and boost your Internet speed.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Block annoying advertisements while surfing the Web via Interne...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Get access to to-do lists, calculators, games, weather, news, e...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Block pop-ups, clean cookies, and optimize your Internet-connec...
- Encrypt your Internet connection for security purpose.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Hide IP with high anonymous private proxies.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Bypass internet restrictions with multiple proxies and customiz...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Block adwares from hulu.com.
- Delete history, cookies, and corresponding index.dat files.
- Protect computer network connection from ARP poisoning attacks.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 45 votes
Current version:4.2 stars
out of 4 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Most Stable I.E. Ad Blocker That's Free"
Version: AdFender 1.80
Effectively blocks almost all ads and popups. Also works great on eliminating the annoying flash ads that are on Yahoo messenger. It contains three basic blocking filters... 1. Easy List ad-blocker. 2.Malware Domains, 3. Easy Privacy.
For some reason adfender lets through ads on Yahoo websites. Some ads in Youtue videos also get through. It also slows down browser speed very slightly, a small price to pay when one to avoid the ad bombardment.
I know many use the "Ad-Block Plus extension" for Chrome or Firefox, and I do too but for Internet Explorer, Adfender works pretty good for me.
"Was The Best & My Favorite Until..."
Version: AdFender 1.80
Works for many things at once. Just about any browser, P2P's or such. Automatic updates and easy to install and set up. Works as advertised and especially well imho. Very non invasive Until....
My favorite Ad blocker (AdFender) started giving me ADS!! Not ads exactly but pop-ups asking for donations.
I understand the need for finances to run any business, Home or even hobby. Please don't break your cardinal rule to solicite it! I promptly uninstalled.
"Works- no question; pop-up ads are gone."
Version: AdFender 1.80
Tried this after a few other blockers that didn't always work and it stops the pop-up ads that were making the internet so irritating. Works in the background with little need for interaction.
It would be nice if it could eliminate all ads but ads help pay for our beloved internet.
Faultless and efficient- who could realistically ask for more.
"cant praise it enough"
Version: AdFender 1.80
i have been on all the sites where i was getting popups & everywhere else & i have not had a single popup,it is like a miracle.simple to instal,no setup required.i am using slim browser which cnet brings up when you look for an adblocker,i was getting popups all the time.now none.i have never known any program work as well as adfender & i like to try new programs all the time.
you have nothing to lose & everthing to gain putting adfender on your pc.i'd like to give it 10 stars.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content