CNET Editors' review
With so many freeware media players to choose from, finding one that's best for your needs starts with features. Nearly all of the popular media players are great performers; what sets a given player apart from the competition? Is it the ability to play the most obscure file types, or numerous skins, or the best playlist manager? What 3Nity Media Player offers is an attractive, easy-to-use GUI for MPlayer, the open source media player, and MPUI, the tool that makes MPlayer a versatile Windows program. Like MPlayer, 3Nity is highly comprehensive, incorporating all the codecs and other moving parts in a single executable; this makes it supereasy to use without sacrificing any of MPlayer's advantages, such as the ability to play nearly every media file. Better still, 3Nity lets you configure MPlayer's advanced settings, including deinterlace and postprocessing, without using the Command Line. However, the Command Line option remains, as does the ability to add any features to this open-source freeware you can program. In addition, 3Nity Media Player also supports drag-and-drop and includes the ability to create self-playing DivX CDs via a special autorun.inf file.
MPlayer's default interface has an attractive two-tone fade finish, with the Linux penguin displayed in the main window. There's only so much you can do with media player controls beyond designing an efficient layout, and 3Nity's is commendably clean, but it's nice-looking, too, in a subtle way. The separate, matching Playlist is simple, with Move Up and Move Down arrows, Shuffle and Repeat, and other basic features, with none of the bloat of some well-known competitors. It has some useful features that some players omit, such as TV/Capture Card capability, and you can even open MPlayer's output in a separate window.
So how does 3Nity Media Player perform? Quite well, thanks to MPlayer's video playback capabilities. As for 3Nity's contribution, the player strikes a nice balance between flexibility and ease of use. We played a variety of video and audio files with good results. We'd like to see a proper Help file, and maybe skins or a customizable look.
From 3nity Software:
3nity Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player capable of reading most audio and video formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, DivX, MPEG-1, mp3, ogg, aac ...) as well as DVDs, Audio CDs VCDs, and network streams. 3nity Media Player is a graphical user interface for mplayer. It's based on MPUI by Martin Fiedler. Features It's a free software. It can play any audio/video file that mplayer supports, that's about 99% of all media files you can find. It has all features of original MPUI: * Plays hundreds of different video and audio formats, including MPEG-1, -2 and -4 (DivX), H.264, MP3, Ogg Vorbis and AAC (More than 192 Video- und 85 Audiocodecs supported natively). For most media files, no additional codecs are needed (Binary Codec Package is already include). The most important MPlayer options (aspect ratio, deinterlacing, and postprocessing) can be configured without typing in cryptic command-line options. (But if you want or need some non-standard options, you can still add them by hand). Support for multiple audio and subtitle tracks on DVDs. Combines MPlayer's cool keyboard navigation with a mouse-controlled seekbar. Plays files, network streams and discs (such as (S)VCD or DVD). Drag&Drop supported. Multilingual user interface : english , french , spanish. Using a special autorun.inf file, self-playing DivX CDs can be made.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.206 corrected: a display bug with main program menu on Windows XP and Windows 7 and improved Radio Names and Playing songs.
More Products to Consider
- Play media files of any type.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Watch four videos at the same time and manage your video collec...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Watch movies and listen to your favourite songs of different fo...
- Convert many PC video formats to a DVD.
- Turn your DVDs into HD quality videos.
- Play and edit videos.
- Play your DVDs with enhanced audio and video effects.
- Play different kind of media.
- Play DVD movies and morph them on the fly.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Organize and manage your DVD collection in a designed database.
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Create a home theater on your PC.
- Play up to 12 videos simultaneously.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert your video files into various formats.
- Playback almost all popular audio and video media file types, c...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content