The Codon One app provides you with an easy and fun way to learn the basics of molecular biology, the genetic code and the fundamentals of the chemistry of life. In the quiz mode you can test your knowledge on topics like genetics, evolution and the history of life science. Besides, there aren't many biologists out there that know all the base structures or each of the 20 amino acids, let alone what each of the 64 codons code for. Codon One is your quick reference to look up all these facts and more. Finally, you can translate DNA sequences, get their reverse complement or receive useful statistics with the built-in sequence operator tool.
- Write or paste DNA sequences and perform simple operations
- Reverse the sequence, get the complement or the reverse complement
- Transcribe it to RNA or translate into its amino acid sequence using all six possible open reading frames
- Get stats for the sequence: length, GC content and melting temperature
- Play around with the codon triplet picker to see which of the 64 codons corresponds to which amino acid or termination signal
- Change bases at different positions and see how the genetic code works
- Get the most important information on nucleobases, amino acids and macromolecules at a glance and receive detailed information on chemical structure, function, synthesis and research history
- Test your knowledge and learn about a range of topics: nucleic acids, amino acids, genetics, evolution, science history
- Track your learning progress and see how you are doing over time
If you thought of a relevant question that we should add to the quiz, feel free to send us a message directly from the app at "Submit Question". If the question finds its way into the quiz you will be mentioned as a contributor (with your permission, of course).
Did you find a bug or any other problem with the app? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take care of it. Suggestions about improvements to the app are equally welcome.