MapQuest packs all the essential navigational tools you need when driving, featuring an intuitive layering system, good voice commands, and a capable auto-rerouting feature. This app is highly accessible and easy to use, but isn't as customizable as some of its competitors.
Practically useful: The features with which MapQuest boasts, namely voice navigation, routing around accidents, multi-stop directions, bookmarking, and a cheap gas stations finder have impressed us as robust and extremely useful. There's a catch, though: while you can enjoy them all in the US, if you live in another country or travel abroad you may find that some either don't work or are not relevant.
Customized layers: A quick tap on the layers icon in the bottom-right corner of the map brings up a sidebar, which lets you stack up layers such as hotels, parking, gas, hospitals, bars, airports, postal, movies, groceries, and even ice cream. This approach to layering does away with the confusing agglomeration of icons other navigational apps feature.
Great navigation: The navigation window features a progress bar with the estimated time of arrival, as well as a compass, both of which come in handy, especially during a long drive. The directions provided are consistent, easy to remember, and precise, helping you reach your destination in due time.
No offline mode: You cannot use this app without a GPS/Internet connection. The competition offers offline maps.
Low level of customization: Apart from choosing between the Driving or Walking modes and selecting whether to allow highways, toll roads, unpaved roads, and a few other options, there's not much you can configure about your route. Other navigational apps are more rich in terms of route setup.
MapQuest delivers the seamless navigation it promises, making a good impression with its beautifully clean interface and inspired layering system. That said, this is not the most customizable app of its kind, nor does it work offline. In other words, when traveling outside the US, do make sure you take MapFactor or at least Google Maps with you.
- Map improvements
- Bug fixes
Thanks for using MapQuest! In this release, we've made improvements behind-the-curtain to help ensure we're providing the smoothest navigation, GPS and mapping experience.
Now, you can continue to be the route planner your friends and family need you to be. Go on and discover new places nearby, and beat rush hour with live traffic updates!
Love our app? Please rate us!
Have a question? Visit us at help.mapquest.com
Get where you need to go with the MapQuest turn-by-turn GPS Navigation app. Whether it's using voice navigation for walking or driving directions or exploring points of interests on the map, MapQuest has the tools you need to navigate the United States and Canada.
Map and Navigation Features:
- Up-to-date satellite imagery and maps
- Turn-by-turn voice navigation for walking and driving directions
- Real-time traffic updates to help you find the fastest ways to your destination
- Live traffic cameras so you can view road conditions before you hit the road
- Optimized routing to help save you time, gas and money
- A speedometer so you can compare your current speed to the speed limit along your route
- Favorites so you can store locations, like your home and work addresses, for quick-and-easy maps and directions
- Alternate route choices so you have multiple options to get where you need to go
- Route settings that help you avoid things like highways and toll roads
- Multipoint routes so you can include more than just one stop
- Planning: create routes starting from somewhere other than your current location
Do More than Get Directions:
- Search and explore nearby points of interests like restaurants, bars, gas stations and hotels, with our layers bar
- Find great hotel deals and book them through MapQuest
- Feed your inner foodie and discover new places to eat: browse menus, make reservations and order food through OpenTable and GrubHub points of interest
- Save money by comparing prices of nearby gas stations
- View local weather so you can plan ahead
- Car broken down? Directly access on-demand roadside assistance for help
- Get directions on-the-go with our corresponding Android Watch app
Please Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.