CNET Editors' review
iZIP Archiver is an archive manager for Mac OS. Its strength is supporting all the most widely used archive formats (ZIP, ZIPX, RAR, TAR, TAR.GZ and 7ZIP) in an easy-to-use package. iZIP Archiver installs quickly and easily.
With iZIP Archiver, all archives appear as removable storage, so you can save directly to them, instead of having to move a saved file later. You can drag and drop files into and out of the archive. You can add encryption to an archive if you want to secure it, requiring a password to access the contents. The interface is simple. To create an archive you can use the iZIP Archiver wizard, which walks you through the steps to create an archive and add security. You can also set the sharing level and have an archive shared and accessible through a Web site (account required).
iZIP Archiver is a free app and since it handles almost every file archive format you'll encounter, it's a tempting download. We had no trouble with iZIP Archiver during our testing, but we did get tired of the wizard pretty quickly. Still, the ideal of handling archives as a removable media is useful for many purposes. We had no trouble with iZIP Archiver in our testing.
With the latest in compression and encryption technology built right in, iZip allows you to compress, secure and share your files with ease. Zip and unzip files Use the familiar Mac Finder to easily manage the contents of the most common archive file formats such is those created by WinZip, WinRAR and others. It's so easy treating archive files as removable storage, you can save your documents directly to your zip file or even drag-and-drop files between archives. iZip is developed by engineers dedicated to the Mac platform and due to it's tight integration with the Mac Operating System you are able to enjoy seamless management of your archives. Encrypt files Secure your confidential data with powerful AES encryption. Keep unwanted eyes away from your personal information by encrypting your zip files using the powerful security features of iZip. iZip features up to 256 bit AES zip encryption so you can rest assured unauthorized users will not be able to view any of your confidential information. With iZip you have the ability to share your archive in a few clicks using the tight integration with the wonderful, fast and secure files.com file sharing service. Securely send and receive files amongst your friends and colleagues - even those running Windows or Linux.
What's new in this version:
- Added BZIP2 support
- Added option to preserve Finder metadata (on by default) - this will allow files without an extension to open with the correct app, etc but you might want to disable this if you are exchanging your zip files mainly with Windows or Linux users.
- Minor UI changes.
- Tweaks, enhancements and bugfixes in the ZIP and RAR engines.
- Added preference to: [ x ] Mount archive volumes in read-write mode whenever possible
- ZIP, ZIPX and RA... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Data recovery software.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- A (very) tiny BitTorrent client.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Fax documents from your mac instantly.
- Screen capture utility.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Make free space on your Mac.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Uninstall apps easily.
- Make your photo collages.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- Rename, copy, move files and folders with a single drag-&-drop ...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:3.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Very gentle to computer virgins"
Version: iZip 1.1.5
Simple to use. Even offers a step by step approach to creating your own archive. (Rolls eyes.)
It's too much Mac madness. Treats you like a moron even if you're a pro. It's only after switching off the brain-dead "wizard" thing that you get to see that the app doesn't support RAR compression, and worse, no file splitting.
Would be great if it works for practice online purpose. In its present state it's good for people like michaelarko, which I understand to be the majority of Mac users? Seriously for mankind's sake, I hope not.Correcting typo above. It should be "works for practical online purpose".
Updated on Feb 28, 2012
"Simple and effective"
Version: iZip 1.1.5
There is not much to this product from a user perspective which is great, it's just there when you need it opening archives like external disk (awesome feature!). Archiving files is super simple as well.
None that I've found yet.
All-in-all a very easy to use archiver that is not always in your face and only shows itself when you need it.
"I have only just downloaded this software? Not used yet"
Version: iZip 1.1.5
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content