CNET Editors' review
Some users may not be satisfied with the features of the native file-searching utility on their Mac. iFileX for Mac does add some additional features, but ultimately will add little to most Mac users' systems.
Download of iFileX for Mac completed fairly quickly via a high-speed connection, as did installation. There were no user instructions or technical support apparently available, which is a disappointment, even for a free program. The program's minimal menu is easy to read, although its default size is small. While the program is active, the menu also sits on top of all other program windows, even those that are active. Drop-down menus allow the user to select the search location and subfolders, and enter name fields. Once initiated, the search completes in a short time and the results can be displayed in a window or in the Finder. In addition to names, files can also be searched by other criteria, including modification date. Unfortunately, most of these features are available in native search programs, or can be located easily in the Finder.
While functional as a basic search program, iFileX for Mac doesn't add much beyond what is already covered by programs already on your computer. It may be a matter of preference, but iFileX for Mac doesn't seem to offer any notable extras.
From OSX Bytes:
iFileX is not meant to be a substitute for Spotlight but it can find more files including hidden files, packages content, bundles content.
You can search after file size,creation and or modification dates, is Folder, is Alias and file name.
This way it is easy to find more related files of applications you try to remove from your system.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed issue removing files and asking admin password.
- Fixed memory leak when using filters.
- Added Croatian localisation.
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Extend OS X's native file handling capabilities via third-party...
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- System monitor utility.
- Data recovery software.
- System monitor which can help you get your Mac's running status...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Tool to automatically delete specified files.
- Launch applications, desk accessories, and files from emergency...
- Simplifies opening the Finder's 'special' folders.
- Move an app's preference file to the trash.
- Universal .rar and .zip file opener.
- Remove unused language support files to save hard drive space.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content