CNET Editors' review
Keeping a diary was once something that all educated people were expected to do, but these days diaries are most often seen as small, ornate books with locking covers that are solely the possession of tween girls (and, occasionally, their little brothers). That's a shame, because there are a lot of reasons to keep a diary, both personal and for posterity. Owning a PC makes keeping a diary too easy, especially with excellent free diary programs like iDailyDiary from Splinterware.
The program's main page bears a strong resemblance to a word processor or a full-featured e-mail client such as Outlook, with selectable toolbars for navigation, cutting and pasting, searching, fonts, bullets, and other text effects. A calendar bar runs along the bottom of the page; days with entries are highlighted in colors as a quick visual aid. You can browse through weeks, months, and years of entries, or use handy navigation arrows, and instantly return to today's entry. You can easily insert and remove pictures and hyperlinks from your diary pages. An especially handy feature is the ability to embed links to previous diary entries, so you can instantly go to the relevant page without having to search. You can change themes, too.
As we've noted, iDailyDiary is freeware, which means no excuses for the would-be diarist. There's an upgraded version, iDailyDiary Pro, that's $30; it adds features like a spell checker, thesaurus, sticky notes, and many more themes. If you like the freeware, you'll probably like the pro version's extra features too.
iDailyDiary has been designed around a simple page-for-a-day diary. Your diary can contain a mixture of pictures and formatted text. Image files of various types are supported including bitmaps, jpegs, icons, and animated GIFs. Add new page tabs and rename them to whatever you wish to help get your life organized. In addition to the calendar on the top toolbar, you have a month-view calendar bar at the bottom of your diary. iDailyDiary supports multiple themes, multiple diaries can be opened simultaneously and has an excellent search facility.
What's new in this version: Version 3.85 allows you to have Templates automatically applied each day according to some simple rules.
More Products to Consider
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Organize your notes, tasks, contacts, issues, and ideas in mult...
- Write diary entries, organize events, stock family photos, shar...
- Enter word in diary to find corresponding entries.
- Keep your personal information in one place.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Create and secure your own journal.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Store your everyday blogs or journals.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Keep your personal information arranged and in one place.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 164 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Used for years"
Version: iDailyDiary Free 3.85
Love this program used it many years
Doesn't have iPad application
I have used DD many years on my laptop.
I would love this or my ipad
"Awesome tool for tracking events"
Version: iDailyDiary Free 3.85
The greatest is the ability to cut n paste screen captures!
I love the easy function keys for time date stamps.
The ability to search etc.
I also use it on USB for easy travel between work and home.
The ONLY thing to make this perfect is to make it a web application with cloud storage and an offline mode for when connection is not possible.
Great functional tool for exactly what it is a diary or event tracker...perfect for me.