CNET Editors' review
Are you in need of a robust yet quick archive opener that can handle a multitude of file types? Zipeg for Mac is all this and a little more. It can handle .zip, .rar, .7z, .z, .tar, .gz, .tgz, .bz2, and other exotic archive types, and it particularly excels at large archives.
With Zipeg for Mac you can see the files contained in the archive and manually select the ones you wish to expand, leaving unselected files unexpanded. By processing only what matters to you, less space is wasted on your hard drive and you wait less time as the archive opens. This is of course particularly handy for large archives or ones that contain an unexpectedly large number of small files. Another function where Zipeg will beat the competition in is its ability to sometimes extract files from archives that are partially damaged. Most software will only successfully decompress archives if the whole process didn't cause any error, even if some files were OK. Of course, it also handles split archives. The only downside to this software is that sometimes you just want to double-click an archive and expand it. In those cases, it will not be the most appropriate choice, given the fact that two actions will be required instead of one. First you'll need to click your archive, which directly opens Zipeg's interface, and only then you can launch the decompression action.
Zipeg for Mac seems to be a very handy tool that is both free and packed with better features compared with its competition. Anyone regularly using archives, both small, large, or partially damaged should keep a copy of this software on their hard drive for occasions where classic expanders are struggling to get things done.Zipeg - Open .rar ans .zip files on Mac - Download Video Previews:
Zipeg is universal .rar and .zip file opener that works on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger. If you ever needed just one photo, song or document from the huge archive that has been downloaded or arrived via email - Zipeg is definitely right for you. Zipeg is tiny but mighty utility. It handles the alphabet soup of variety of archives in addition to commonplace zip and rar. It also does tar, tgz, gzip, bzip2, iso just to name a few. Zipeg allows you to chose the destination where to extract and merge files (default is your Desktop), intelligently handles the folder names. You can select individual folder inside archive and extract only that folder and subfolders. Zipeg fully support multipart rar and zip files (those that come in multitude as file.part1.rar ... file.part99.rar) and password protected files (provided that you know the password). It also capable of viewing the photographs by launching preview application and opening other type of documents in associated programs. Zipeg is absolutely free and works on both intel and powerpc based Macs as well as on all flavors of Windows for those of you who uses both at home and at work.
More Products to Consider
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Free Mac Zip Software. Create, manage and extract zipped files ...
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Data recovery software.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Uninstall apps easily.
- Zip, unzip, encrypt, and share files on your Mac.
- Watch TV on your Mac in HD.
- Give your brain a workout.
- Battle against 15 of poker's top players powered by an artifici...
- RAR archive manager.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Video editing, compositing & special effects.
- Design, edit and publish stunning documents.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Rename, copy, move files and folders with a single drag-&-drop ...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Was able to open a file that UnRarX could not."
Version: Zipeg 2.9.4
-Simple looking interface: provided easy navigation since all the important tools are clearly displayed on the main screen (i.e. no string of boxes).
-Able to upload and extract .zip relative-files. I don't think UnRarX was able to recognize the zip extension in my zip file derivative, seeing as it would continuously prompt me "no RAR archive" messages. Zipeg was able to, however (thank goodness, haha).
Note: I'm using this program on Mac OS X (10.7 series)
Can only save extractions in one file at time. This isn't a downfall for me, considering that I usually plan to save files in a single folder.
"Requires Java Runtime Environment 6"
Version: Zipeg 2.9.4
Cannot run app to identify any pros
This app requires Java 6, which is no longer available for Mac OS X for security reasons
I never had a chance to use Zipeg, so I can only imagine that it was a useful application. With JRE 6 removed from my Mac OS X system by Apple through a security update release, this app requires an update in order for it to be relevant today.