CNET Editors' review
Yahoo's Zimbra Desktop is a strange beast. Chiefly intended for pre-existing users of Zimbra's business services, or those who access Zimbra's hosted server through the open-source community, the offline, multiplatform, open source Zimbra Desktop also has some intriguing uses for the rest of us. However, many features are acutely in beta. This makes its position as a standalone app precarious, as it does this review--pre-existing Zimbra fellows get a much richer feature set added to what is their chief e-mail in-box. For them, the emphasis on collaborating wiki documents, uploading files, and sharing entire subsets of the in-box--like address books and message folders--gives the application its value. Those outside the server's glow will find a half-enabled app still nibbled by bugs.
Most will want to try Zimbra Desktop for its capability to manage multiple e-mail accounts from its single in-box. It will sync contacts and calendars from Yahoo Mail and Gmail, though a syncing dilemma with Gmail currently restricts the buddy list to those you've added by hand. Likewise, Gmail's labels won't synchronize with Zimbra tags in this build. Hotmail is another Web mail service supported with caveats. It only works for those with premium Plus accounts, or those who have been grandfathered in from the Outlook Express days. Other IMAP and POP services are eligible for Zimbra's in-box panoply.
The e-mail accounts that do make it into Zimbra without a hitch are treated with an overarching search bar, the ability to tag messages, and a feature that clusters conversations with the same subject line. Unlike Gmail, Zimbra Desktop won't thread conversations into one e-mail entry, but it will list previous conversations with the same subject line beneath the latest message.
Also open to everyone are Zimbra Desktop's extremely simple wiki documents, which you can create, but can't easily share with others if you don't engage Zimbra's server. In previous tests, stability became an issue when running a spreadsheet and minimized applications. While the portrait isn't exactly rosy, the adventurous can still benefit from the multi in-box management tools, as Zimbra broadens its appeal and its promise to non-Zimbra Server users.
Zimbra Desktop is the next-generation email application that makes e-mail easy again. Get e-mail, contacts, and calendar all in one application. Easily set up Zimbra, Yahoo. Mail Plus, AOL and Gmail email accounts with the Account Wizard. Any POP or IMAP email account can be added to Zimbra Desktop, there's no limit to the size of your email storage, and Zimbra Desktop works online and offline.
More Products to Consider
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Open, view, and extract data from TNEF-encoded messages.
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Manage your e-mail with ease.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Use a full-featured and free e-mail client.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
- Capture, edit, print, and share photos and videos from your Web...
- Webmail that looks like Outlook.
- Read and organize your e-mail faster with this social networkin...
- Create, manage, and send e-mails.
- View and filter e-mail on the server before it reaches your sys...
- Upload e-mail and contacts from desktop e-mail programs to your...
- View, print, search, and convert MS Outlook .PST, .MSG, .EML, a...
- Send mails, store contacts, and securely establish communicatio...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 53 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Not worth the effort"
Version: Zimbra Desktop 7.2.2
Basic software is free. It works pretty well, unless you buy the license, then good luck, it works sometimes but not with outlook connector.
Support isn't able to fix issues when you buy a license.
Don't waste your time. Marketing makes a lot of promises and delivers nothing. They point to their terms of service which covers them and basically says if their software doesn't work, it's not their problem, they get to keep the money they stole from you.