CNET Editors' review
Yasu is a free utility that gives you a very simple interface for running system-level maintenance tasks. It is not a feature-filled system-optimization app, but rather a one-stop shop for executing Unix shell scripts that you would otherwise have to run manually through Terminal (or through some other maintenance app).
The interface is a bare-bones window with check boxes for 24 different tasks, everything from cache- and log-clearing to the Mac's "cron" scripts (which are otherwise executed automatically daily, weekly, and monthly). Yasu--which stands for Yet Another System Utility--recognizes that many system utilities offer an often bewildering abundance of tweaks and settings, so Yasu (originally designed for sysadmins) sticks to the basics. Yasu executes its tasks in the background, and a drop-down menu lets you choose whether to restart or shutdown after completion.
If you're looking for more-extensive tweaking capabilities, Yasu isn't for you. But if you want a basic, worry-free interface for troubleshooting problems and keeping your Mac healthy, this app is a great option and a good first line of defense against system weirdness.
From Jim Mitchell Design:
Created with System Administrators who service large groups of workstations in mind, Yasu (Yet Another System Utility) was made to do a specific group of maintenance tasks quickly within a few clicks, rather than needing to endlessly type shell script commands in the Terminal application.
What's new in this version:
- Rebuilt as Universal binary for PPC users.
- Fixed an issue that would prevent the main window from opening for Lion and Mountain Lion users.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Update your Workgroup Server software.
- Complete new set of folder icons.
- Take part in a trip around Madrid via screensaver.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Use this client/server version control system for CodeWarrior.
- Warns of ATA drive failure before it happens.
- Kensington input device driver.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Ten panoramic login screen background images.
- Data recovery software.
- Sync MIDI apps with MIDI hardware.
- File sharing app that makes it simple to manage, protect and sh...
- Mimic another device's MAC address.
- Track the status of your hard disks.
- Get a voice and IM chat application.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 21 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"One of the Best free utilities available for Mac OS X."
Version: Yasu 2.8.2
It just works and does not mess up your machine like many other "utilities" can and have done.
There are none. This does "So Much More" than just repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility. You also have the option of turning many things On or Off.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: