CNET Editors' review
Yahoo Zimbra Desktop offers Yahoo Mail users offline access to their Webmail accounts, as well as providing document and spreadsheet support. As with Yahoo's Webmail interface, it mirrors Microsoft Outlook's look and keyboard shortcuts.
Zimbra Desktop can handle multiple accounts, including access to the competition. Configuring for Gmail, or any other mail service, was dead simple. One similarity to Gmail are the small triangles that appear next to e-mail messages that are part of a back-and-forth exchange. Clicking on the triangle expands the e-mail header list so you can see all the messages of the exchange. There's also tagging, which Zimbra uses much like Gmail's labels. Unfortunately, Zimbra's tags and Gmail's labels didn't synchronize. And tags are specific to an e-mail account, so clicking on a tag will show only a subset of messages within one.
However, it's not perfect. It didn't seem connected to our Yahoo address book for contacts or calendar for events. And unless you instruct it otherwise, Zimbra Desktop will synchronize your in-box but not folders where you may have filed message. You can manually sync folders when you click on them, but the process worked erratically.
Zimbra Desktop's productivity suite elements are workable, but barely so. Unlike Google Docs, Microsoft Office files can't be opened, and there's no presentation software. The spreadsheet is extremely spartan, and runs awkwardly inside the word-processing application. Stability also became an issue when running a spreadsheet and minimized applications.
Ever forget about an important message in your other e-mail accounts? Can't find a message in the account right in front of you? Yahoo Zimbra Desktop is the next-generation email application that makes e-mail easy again. Get e-mail, contacts, and calendar all in one application. Easily set up Zimbra, Yahoo. Mail Plus, AOL and Gmail email accounts with the Account Wizard. Any POP or IMAP email account can be added to Zimbra Desktop, there's no limit to the size of your email storage, and Zimbra Desktop works online and offline.
What's new in this version: First add.
More Products to Consider
- View Outlook .msg email and contact files on Mac.
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- Read e-mail and news the way you want it, with intelligent junk...
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Instant messaging tool.
- Read and organize email faster with this social networking-enab...
- VoIP softphone for SIP networks, pbx like features.
- Connect with all your friends instantly.
- Localized version.
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Use any internet app via firewalled/proxied network.
- Email app that's easy to use and powerful.
- Menubar IMAP mail notifier.
- Reads data from Unix pipe & displays it in Aqua window.
- Add e-mail accounts, block pop-ups and add an access to YouTube...
- Convert Outlook 2011 OLMs for import into Apple Mail, Thunderbi...
- (OE) email client/newsreader.
- Import or convert PST for Apple Mail, Entourage, Outlook 2011; ...
- Creates iCal events for Address Book birthdays.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Yahoo Zimbra Desktop"
Version: Yahoo Zimbra Desktop beta 3 (build 1249)
* clean interface
* easy navigation
DON'T Minimise the window or you will have to end the process and restart the application. Process is oddly named. I would have expected something like "Zimbra.exe" instead it is "prism.exe" Located here ==> "C:\zimbra\zdesktop\.\win32\"
* Unable to display FULL headers for SPAM reporting.
* Not all options are available for Yahoo! Mail, such as sorting incoming messages. This needs to be done through the web interface on Yahoo! Web Mail.